Wednesday, November 9, 2005

He went what?

Flirtatious: "Here little fishy, come to daddy.  He won't hurt you."

Real Mood: Cleansed ( I just took a shower)

Prediction: "Oprah's show themes will bend in the direction of Jerry Springer's themes in November."  ( It's just a good idea for all of us to be aware that November is a big ratings month. Be patient. Another type of false reality will arrive in December.)

I started this entry very early this morning. I just wanted to get to Jacqui Jeras' (CNN early morning weather maven) fashion choices for the day.  Jacqui appears before the weather map in slim lined taupe slacks. The pants are accompanied by a fairly thick weave burgundy sweater. It has sublte vertical ribbing. It is sized tight, and very form revealing.  The neckline of the sweater is  loosely formed around the neck at the collar bone. There is a button on the sweater directly below the chin. About an inch below that button there is a teasing teardrop shaped opening,  revealing a modicum of skin. I feel confident few males watching have any interest in her "low pressure system."

Now if you want to talk "High Pressure," as in blood,  join me in being perplexed with the media adopting yet another "makes no sense" expression from the British Isles.

I don't know about you, but I've known some people who "went fishin."  I know some who "went mountain biking, camping, climbing, hunting, crazy." But I've yet to know anyone who "WENT MISSING."

I know people who've missed someone. I know people who've missed lunch. Then there are those who are missing a few fingers or toes.  But know what? None of them voluntarily traveled some place to arrive at those sets of circumstances.

Even if there is a small town in the sand hills of Nebraska called Missing?  You still wouldn't say, "I'm going Missing." And if queried on your whereabouts? I would not reply, "he went Missing."

To relax their voices I teach my announcing students to find a private place and practice "echolalia.' That's the language of toddlers that goes something like this.

"BaBaBooBooGooGooMuhMuhHeeHoHumHahHeyDaDaDADa.  It relaxes all those tight little muscles, tendons and ligaments in the larynx.   Call it vocal stretching. If toddlers do it we say, "ahhh, how cute." If we get caught practicing echolalia in adulthood, we get chased down by people with nets. But know what? Echolalia has some communicative purpose and value.

Saying, "he went missing" ain't worth spit. In the words of the 'Bard  of  Stratford', "pray you, avoid it." There are a whole bunch of ways  and reaons to quote Shakespeare.

You'll love this. In Lucy Carr's song, "Missing You?"  There is a repeated refrain that goes like this:

"Oh Da Da Day."  Arrest that woman before she goes missing! Look the lyrics up if you don't believe me.

Another burning domestic social issue I think we should be talking about? Do you or do you not rinse the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher?  Get back to me.

No comments: