Sunday, November 13, 2005

Barometric Pressure up!

Flirtatious: See my other photos. I think you'll find them very revealing.

Real Mood. Modestly relieved

Prediction: To paraphrase Rogers and Hamerstein's assessment of Kansas City Burlesque, CNN'S Bonnie Schneider "has gone about as fer as she can go."

I had this all written and accidentally stepped on a power switch before saving. AAAAAAHHHH! Okay, I feel better now.

Let's just imagine we are flies on a wall at a recent "fictional" CNN boardroom meeting.

"Gentlemen, and ladies, we got a problem. FOX and MSNBC are biting us where it hurts.  Every day I look at the numbers and we are getting nowhere with males 14 to 21."

"That's a tough one sir, but I think I've got an idea."

"Shoot!"

"Well, sir. I think we need a unique attack to get to that audience segment. I think we need to go right after their most basal instincts."

"I told you before Brisby, we got no chance at stealing any major sporting events. FOX, ESPN and the "Old Nets" got all the biggies tied up with long term contracts."

"I wasn't exactly talking about sports per se, sir."

"I told you a long time ago we are not going to do the mud wrestling championships."

"Actually I'm not talking about sports at all sir."

"Well spit it out man. We don't have a lot of time here."

'In a word sir, SEX."

"I WILL NOT, hear me, dress our anchors up like whores and pimps and ask them to be serious journalists."

"I know that, and I agree with that sir. But what about weather?"

"Huh"

"Look, research tells us nobody really listens to the weather. They just watch it.  Why not give those 14 to 21 year old males something to watch?"

"Hmmm? What do you have in mind?"

"Oh, just a little cleavage sir."

"Are we going to be able to find any female meteorologists to compromise their values, for the sake of the company?"

(I'M SAVING NOW!)

"We may even have some women here in the pool willing to do it for some face time, sir."

"Hmmm. Weigh in on this Jacqui.... Bonnie.  Is this idea repulsive to you?"

"I don't know how Bonnie feels, but I kind of like the idea. I'm not too sure we could get regular female anchors to buy in to it though."

"Yes, I agree with Jacqui. I think some of these ladies take themselves way too seriously.  But seems to me, like with the right people, it might get the result we want."

"Where in the hell are we going to get a couple of women to do this on short notice?"

"I don't know about Bonnie, but I know a little bit about weather. Of course you'd have to make the judgement about whether or not I'd fit the bill?

"I actually have my weather certification Jacqui. I also have a closet full of clothes I'm not allowed to wear to work.  I think it might be kind of fun.  Of course, you'd have to agree I look the part." 

"Okay, let me push the envelope a little bit here. Suppose we do this progressive thing.  You start with fairly modest necklines, and each day of the book (rating period) you drop those necklines just a smidgeon until the boys at home are getting to see some real cleavage."

"Well which one of us are you talking to sir?"

"Both of you.?"

"I'm pretty sure I could handle that sir."

"I'm in."

"Okay, it's a deal.  I'll get some paper work going. You two get with wardrobe. Tell them I want tight fitting, bold sexy colors, lots of sexy accessories. Oh, and go practice. Even if no one's listening I don't want you calling a nimbus a cumulus."

"Yes, sir!"

"We're on it!"

Outside the boardroom:

"Well that beer we bought Brisby sure payed off."

"In spades."

Inside the board room:

"So Brisby, how'd I do? Do you think they really bought it?"

"No doubt in my mind sir."

"Well with that bonus your getting? You're buying me dinner."

Anyway I'm relieved that the progressive slide of Bonnie's neckline appears to have stabalized. She's gone about as fer as she can go. And so has this entry....except...wait a minute.

At breakfast this morning I talked to the roommate of one of my former students, who one way or another, you'll all know some day. Her name is Stephenie Davis. Her roommate tells me Stephenie was offered and has accepted an assitant basketball coaching job at Colordo Academy. Whatever she does Stephenie is going to rise to the top.  I hope she works some media into her fame, but I know she'll succeed at whatever she does.

I have two memories of Colorado Academy. One, I lost in the first round of tennis tournament there. Two, I was sitting in a studio at a radio station in 1975, I think.( Maybe '76, '77) Someone out front wanted to know if I'd like to interview some kid from the Academy who'd won a few ice skating trophies.  What the heck, why not?

Well in walks this little guy shaking like an aspen in the wind. I jumped right into some small talk to ease his fears.

"Hi! Have a seat.  I'm Paul. What's your name?"

"Scott."

"Scott......?"

"Hamilton. Scott Hamilton."

"Every done anything like this before Scott."

"No sir, and I'm scared to death." 

I could tell you enough about my athletic averageness to make you aware I can take no reward for making Scott Hamilton the skater he is today. But I will jump in and take credit for one thing.  I opened the microphone? Scott Hamilton hasn't shut up since.

 I notice from his shows, he's is not exactly shy about the necklines of his females skaters either.

If I'm reading the map right in photo three, I'm thinking low 60's for a high in Boston?

No comments: