Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I Gotta Get Out of Here

I'm going to babble a bit just to stay on track. I've got to do one of these a day, and I've only got 14 minutes left in this day ( by EDS time) to get it in.

So anyway we ran away from home for about 36 hours. Running away from home isn't nearly as exciting when no one is around to worry about you, or call the police.

This was just a stress break. Sometimes you have to pretend to have stress so you can run away from home. It's not the running away that's important, its the impact of the change of scenery. I used to have a distance rule for unburdening my self of all negative emotions, finding those creative juices once more, liking people around me again.

Early on that distance was another country, call it the BIG jurisdiction shift. This really is something that changes with age. By my 30's just traveling across a state border, seeing different colored license plates, a change in flora and fauna did the trick. 

By mid 30's there were up and down economic turns, and traveling to another state, even by bus wasn't practical, even just to blow off a little steam.

I learned a little trick from a distant midwest relative once that proved helpful when your finances were tight, and you still needed to wash out your soul. You didn't need to leave the state, just your state of mind.  And for that a little liquid lightning was helpful. And he added a general rule of thumb for this technique. Never imbibe in your own town, especially on a Saturday night. Do it in the next town, and then you can show up in church on Sunday in your own town with  no one in those pews any the wiser. At least that's what you tell yourself. Many of the solemn faces around you bear some resemblence to those you'd been winking at the night before.

I won't go through the various stages of man to give this treatise substance. Some days substance just isn't any fun. Just let me say there are times when the burden becomes so overwhelming, just getting to another room is a relief. And so before this gets too macabre I'll be leaving this room and will soon be arriving in the bedroom where I hope slumber will restore my senses. Ta, Ta. 

ADDENDUM: The mood selections in this format are very limiting. I would be more than willing to be of help expanding the options. "Loopy" is just the closest out of the options I could come to "gobsmacked."

 

No comments: