Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Complaints Flood In

Okay, I could legitimately wait one more day, but the odds are not in my favor. I predicted six days ago we'd have flooding in a week.  It's not going to happen. Most of the gut level criteria fell into place. The snowpack was a little low in elevation (meaning high in potential moisture content), the unseasonably warm days did kick in the rapid melt factor, rivers and streams did rapidly rise, some flood watches were issued on the other side of the mountains, but here it comes, hold on tight, I'm going to say it.  I was wrong!  That darned confused Pacific storm just didn't do it's job. But I'm owning up. It (the system) had no obligation to get sucked up here from the Gulf. I just threw a dart and missed the bulls eye. Sorry, forgive me, beg your pardon, I'll try not to do it again. Ever hear a meteorologist apologize like that? You never will either.

What I'm quickly realizing about anything you do in print is you better do your homework. All journalists, and that includes meteorologists, make mistakes. They don't always apologize when they do. When they do, the apologies are given short shrift. Why voluntarily poke holes in your credibility? Just play dumb. In television you might tuck your apology in between commercials between sports and weather. That seems to be when viewers hit the fridge for some beer and nuts, and hopefully they miss the whole thing.

In a newspaper you might get your apology between the personal ads and the "Obit" page. But here's the deal. That TV apology is gone. It's in the ether to be interpreted by Venusians or Saturnians. It's (the apology) out of here.

The one you put in print? It's here for the long haul. It's going to be there to find when ten years from now you decide to run for Dog Catcher, or Governor, or Poet Laureate. Looks to me like I'm screwed. Not only was I wrong back in '05, I admitted it. "Is that the kind of man we want running our dog pound?" 

You know the sage advice you get from attorneys and consumer reporters. "Always get it in writing."

For journalists the ministers of good sense proffer the reverse suggestion. "Don't ever put it in writing." How? You always attribute anything controversial to someone else. It goes right along with "baffle them with B___S___."

Anyway, here I am putting it all on the line. I was wrong. Before I go, I must apologizeto the "Reinertson For Dog Catcher" exploratory committee. We've got no chance now. While I'm headed for apology rehab, I can't promise you I won't try to predict the weather again.And then apologize when I'm wrong again. Sorry guys. No, I really mean it, I'm sorry.  

Hey! Wait a minute. It's raining!

No comments: