Sunday, January 7, 2007

Watch Your Step!

A UFO hovering over O'Hare? A colossal shift in weather patterns on the planet? And this strange set of footprints in my driveway! What's going on here?

I'm clearly reminded of one issue.  If you are trying to rid your community of burglary and vandalism?  Just lay down some fresh snow every day.

Somewhere in the archives of this BLOGOSITY I tell the story of a "Bright" home burglar who shoves all his booty in a sack? And then makes his quiet escape on foot walking from the scene of the crime to his hideout.

[If I recall correctly he wore a 10 triple E]

The "beat cops" didn't even need to call CSI on this one.

Now my TODAY tale is a little different.  And pay attention because there is a consumer "beware" tip hidden in this mini-saga.

Pretty early this morning I head out to the driveway to pick up the Sunday paper. It's just one of those things 'ol folks' do. I see it ( the paper) ahead of me in its bright orange Sunday best wrapper.   But before I take a step towards it's retrieval? The image you see up above catches my attention.

This is not the imprint of a rabbit, or raccoon, or coyote, or dog, or cat, or fox, or antelope, or domestic livestock of any make. What beast on this planet would leave such a mark?  It looks almost human.  With all this snow we've been getting, could Yeti have traveled south for the winter.  If so, Yeti is much smaller than his reputation.

Well I quickly rush back into the house to get my camera to record this Bizarre homo sapien like print.   But what human would walk around  in his bare feet,  in snow,  at 15 degrees Fahrenheit, with a wind chill factor of 5 below? 

And the prints go only in a tight circle from the middle of the driveway to the garage door and back.  Odd?  It's almost as if this creature just landed, took a quick break, and then flew away.

So??? Here I am in my parka and gloves tucked into my quilted booties I buy every winter holiday at "Restoration Hardware."

I'm walking out to get some tight shots of the evidence and then head back in. Oh, my goodness!! There is a new set of tracks appearing in front of me. This THING is following me!

Well, I don't want to over milk this. I have seen Yeti, and Yeti is ME!

One of the other things 'Ol folks' do?  We forget some actions we take ten minutes after we take them.

I now recall that even earlier in the morning? I make a trip to the driveway anticipating the Sunday paper is here? It isn't, so I go back to bed.

The real object lesson here is those BOOTIES from "Restoration Hardware."  The padding on the soles  are clearly not very substantial, eh?   It's true when I buy them there is no encouragement to wear them outside of the home.

By the same token there is no disclaimer or warning against wearing them to retrieve newspapers in the snow.

And there is certainly no suggested advice on how to deal with the shock of thinking you've discovered a whole new life form that tolerates incredibly low temperatures.

[There have been observations of my feet over time that have ended with the verbalization, "Weird." Yeah, I guess so.] 

No comments: