Saturday, January 27, 2007

Honk if You're Hungry!!!

 

Good and Bad goose news. The bad news first.

If wild goose is the traditional entree for your Spring feast? You bettter like your goose lean and boney. As you can see they got NADA to eat.

Good news? Well if this snow ever melts there will be a lot less Goose Dung on the golf greens and jogging paths.

It's been sunny for a few days, but we seem to LIKE getting a little NEW snow every weekend. I  was going to take a little BLOG snowbreak today? That's even with the inch a half of powder we picked up over night?  But then I look at the AOL front page? There is no way I'm going to give El Nino a break.

The AOL cover story has the populace of Anchorage, Alaska  "____ing" about the 74 inches of snow they've gotten already this Winter. Well welcome to the club. You guys are about ten inches behind this town's western surburbs. And hey, we're a few latitude inches south of you.

I still might have changed the subject had I not looked up at the TV screen and seen a feature on the 1967 snowstorm in Chicago. They got 23 inches and the toddlin' town was paralysed. (Mrs. O'leary sure could have used a few inches.) 

Peggy, who lived in Chicago a while, remembers the municipal solution to too much snow? Just heap it all in train cars and send it south. They would just keep looking for dumping ground, or keep going until it melted.

Wonder why they haven't done that here?   Could be because they'd have to run those train cars to Colombia before the snow turned wet.

And Anchorage? Forget it!

One observation I'd like to make and then I'll get out of here. This month and half love affair we've had with snow, has me fascinated with all it's textures.

Historically I've seen the arctic like super dry powder in Utah. I've been in screaming wet, yet knife like blizzards of Chicago. I've tried to ski on the icy slopes of Mount Waterman in the Mojave Desert, I've been caught in the sopping wet circling yuck outside Boston. I've walked through the lingering slush of Portland, Maine. I've been blinded by the glumping mass on the windshield driving I-40 in New Mexico. I've tolerated the ice storms we tried to call snow in Western Kansas.

The reason I can remember all these textures? That's 'cause we've had them all here in this one place, at this one time. It get's kind of funny when you go out to shovel? You go out thinking it's going to be really heavy? So you put a lot into that first shove? Well it turns out it is the light fluffy stuff, and you and your shovel go flying into a snow drift.  Or there is the reverse which I'm guessing is the cause of lot of hernias.  

Earlier this year I talked about returning to two a day workout sessions to help get my weight down?  Turns out that's easy to schedule in a winter like this.  Daily shoveling gets one of the two out of the way right away.

But you know things could still be a lot worse.  We could be  geese. HONK! HONK!

No comments: