Monday, January 22, 2007

On Target

Anybody watching the Australian Open at midnight?

Here is an issue that is bothering me. If your neighborhood two lane street fills up with snow?   And there is so much snow that it becomes a one way street? And there is a portion of that street that is inclined?  And one SUV is heading down the incline?  And another SUV is motoring up the incline? Who has the "right of way?"

I'm serious.  I have no idea. And I'd like to be polite.

This much snow leads you to make some odd choices. There are some decisions made it's not comfortable to talk about. But I've come to trust most of you most of the time.  So here goes.  I'm going to spit it out now. Open the closet door.

We need to fill the pantry?  It is going to be tough to get all the way to Safeway? So? Here it comes. I, and I force Peggy to join me, shop for GROCERIES at SUPER TARGET. I don't know about you, but it just seems unclean.  I don't mean dirty.  I mean, just not morally right, is it?

It is odd that I choose Super Target, which is a new phenom'.  Wal Mart has been doing it (selling groceries) for a long time, and I think I once break down there and buy a box of saltines.  

But I remember how uneasy I feel opening the box and that icky ecruish colored wax paper sealant.  I know I eat one of the crackers, but I think the rest of the box dies of old age, or I feed the birds with it. (Birds will eat anything!) 

I once help put together a story on the implosion of the Montgomery Ward building in town?  Why bring that up? Well there is this guy living in a high rise overlooking the Monkey Ward building (is it still not nice to say that?)  throwing a celebratory cocktail party at sunrise?  And I will always remember his sound bite as he is standing on the balcony during the countdown. Ten....nine.....eight.....seven...

"You know any store that sells women's underwear right next to snow tires deserves to be imploded!"

....one....KAH BLEW EE.....

So I'm not making any stiff promises here.  I don't even know if you have one around you. But for the time being I am refusing to buy my groceries from the new Super Sears Store.

"There is just something WRONG about grocery shopping in a store that sells men's UNDERWEAR right next to the Broccoli," says I.

Oh, by the way, I testeda Super Target orange.  It seems to be okay.  I'll let you know if, ahem, ahem, a problem develops.  

What about the "right of way" issue?  Any answers?  Any suggestions? 

Andy Roddick is clobbering  (6-2  6-2 so far) his old hittin' buddy Mardy Fish. Maybe they can have a beer at Walgreens after the match.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No suggestions but another moral dilemma.    (Are these moral dilemmas?  Ehical issues? Little bitty problems of modern day life? )  This dillemma arises from your dilemma - what about supermarkets, AKA food marts, that sell socks and underwear, eh?  Whart about them?  Do we disdain to buy our undies across the aisle from the water melons?  How different is that from buying your oranges across the aisle from the Sears hat department?  

As for your hulking SUV conundrum, my lips are sealed.

Anonymous said...

GOOD ONE!
We had a head-on in our driveway one time and it seems to me the guy coming up had the right-of-way  even though he was at fault.
Life's like that sometimes.