Tuesday, April 4, 2006

It Makes No Sense!

Flirtatious: "The bus ain't comin'! Want a ride on the back of my Schwin?"

Real Mood: Frisky

Prediction: Less than one percent of the world's population will ever connect a "Bus Strike" with  Lisistrata. (I'm going to check the spelling and get back to you.) (Apparently you can spell it that way, although Lysistrata, with a 'Y' seems to be the preferred English spelling. But in Italian they seem to like all I's.) ( Is it strange to find Lysistrata available on Amazon.Com?)

Lets tie up some loose ends. Here's something you won't see in the mainstream media:

ERROR: Headlining of an ADMITTED error on the FONT PAGE or 'A' BLOCK!

Knee jerk reaction? Trying to be cute? Saying Bill Walton was the last UCLA center to be in the final four? The Bruins had centers playing for them in '80 and '95 too. Walton played in the 70's when I was paying attention.

One of my postings on connections has drawn a lot of attention. Duane Larson offers up two really bizzare sets of circumstances.

I'll try to summarize one of them.  Duane's Brother-in-law has a screen crush on Ginger Rogers. He writes to her from Atlanta? Says he'd like to take her to lunch? No response. So Duane's sister writes to Ginger saying in essence, "he's harmless." So Ginger says okay, just lunch. Lunch happens.

Next trip Duane's sister comes along and she and Ginger really hit it off.  In fact, brother-in-law gets left in the dust as Ginger and Duane's sister Linda become great friends. Sister Linda even helps Ginger move off her farm in Oregon.

Jump ahead how many years? Duane and his wife Nancy are playing in a tennis tourney in Arizona? And one of the women there turns out to be Ginger's personal secretary?  A few drinks at a cocktail party and the secretary says, "hey you guys want to talk to Ginger?"

"Sure!"

The secretary calls the SECRET NUMBER! 

"Ginger Roger's House!"

"Is she there?"

"Nope, she's out."

"Is this Linda?"

"Yeah?'

"Hey, Duane, you want to talk to your sister?"
 

Here's some more of that kind of stuff. I find out in class that Carrisa Deutcher, a student, grew up on a farm in Kansas just South of Ness City, Kansas. No doubt her family and Melany Fehrenbach's family crossed paths.

 ( If you're new to this story just roll with the punches. You can always go back and fill in the blanks at you leisure.)

(It might be a good time to remind anybody that I was born with my tongue attached to my cheek. I figure if I say that it'll be my defense in any lawsuit.)

Meantime, my cousin Bill, whose sister Shiela married Larry Miller who taught and coached at Ness City? Bill asks Larry, who says he coached quite a few of the Fehrenbach boys. In Larry's words to Bill, "they were all fine boys, good athletes and good students."

And I may have already told you, but another student, Beth Hannon says she was born in Sacramento and is pretty sure vacationed as a child in Santa Cruz where she likely played near my family's friend's hamburger stand not too far from where my nephew Matt lives with his wife Michele, who has grown up in Santa Cruz, and might know of Melany's Mom's family, since Melany's mom grew up in Santa Cruz where my student Kimmy Hidalgo grew up and skim boarded until she moved to Denver. I remember seeing Kimmy and Melany in the same room together once.

And let's not forget sighlemaccaba! She's from Yonkers but has a bunch of relatives that have called Santa Cruz home all their lives.

So Duane! Do you think Ginger Rogers or your sister ever lived in Santa Cruz or Ness City or Yonkers?

Peggy Adds: "My life long friend Nikki lives in San Jose?"

And did you know that Suzanne Sommers grew up in San Bruno and then married Bruce Sommers and moved to San Francisco?

Good luck to Brianne Bateman, a student in my announcing class? She made the first cut for the Denver Bronco's Cheerleader Squad. She's been on the team, but like the players?  I guess they have to prove themselves every year. And Brianne reminds us that while they are referred to as cheerleaders?  They are dancers and ________good ones. Don't forget it.

[SEE PICTURE 2]

So we have a transit strike going on in town? Our campus is highly bus and light rail dependent. So I'm thinking I'm going to be lecturing to "air" this week. Not so! There are a few caught off guard, and I'm sure a few who are using the excuse.  But I'm amazed at how many jump to the challenge. 

The best story I hear comes from student Benu Amun-Ra, who just jumps on her bike and rides 20 miles to campus.

[SEE PICTURE 1]

I tell you this because I want you to picture this very animated woman? Standing in the middle of the classroom? Rolling up her sleeves? Forming a body builders pose? What does she declare?

BODY BY R.T.D. (Regional Transporation District)

Unless you are being tarred and feathered on a daily basis? I don't think you should  strike a tax supported entity! You think you're striking back at the FAT CATS.  But you are striking against your neighbors and friends. They don't understand.

Go ahead and picket the Governor's house. Spray graffitti on the sidewalks outside all the board members houses. Tip the media to a secret affair the Manager is having with the Mayor's wife. Get on talk shows and whine! Do all those things and more, but don't strike against the taxpayers.

You might get what you want in your paycheck! But you'll need it because the price of good will just went WAY UP!  That sounds like a sermon, but it's really just an observation based on way too much experience.   

GOT TO GET THESE LOOSE ENDS OUT OF THE WAY SO WE CAN FOCUS ON THE FIRST ANNIVERSARY OF PaulsModestMusings. There's another loose end. (Hang on just a second. I gotta go check something.) Yep, here's the deal! AOL SAYS I'VE  BEEN DOING THIS SINCE APRIL 26TH, 2005. BUT THEY DON'T SHOW AN ENTRY UNTIL THE 28TH? SO I'M THINKING I'M GOING TO GO WITH THE 28TH?  BUT YOU CAN VOTE!

i gotta run! i think somebody is after me! i hope it's not lysistrata or worse, Aristophanes?

No comments: