Sunday, April 23, 2006

Count Down

Flirtatious: "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways! One, Two, Three, Four. I think that's about it."

Real Mood: Driven

Prediction: Someone will go along with this.

This IS the week of the anniversary of PaulsModestMusings. There is no turning back now. When Duane and I were chatting? He wonders if I might have gone a little too far with the promotion.

"What if people are disappointed?"

Actually I'm covered on that issue. In fact some of my media friends who know my AVERSION to misleading headlines and teases? They may be expecting a "shaggy dog," "chicken little," or "little boy who cried wolf" end result.

But a funny thing happens on the way to the anniversary.  Somewhere along the way "The Tale  (tail) starts Wagging the Dog!"

In this case?  I would be that dog.  I am becoming the victim of my own FLUFF.  I've started believing my own press releases. I think I REALLY do want to come up with something special for Friday. We'll see!

So here's my plan.  I'm making an effort to slowly but surely turn out some broadcast TV journalism before your eyes.

As I tell my students in that class, TVJ is all about moving pictures and sound, both  AMBIENT and NATURAL. You won't find this distinction in a dictionary, but Ambient is background sound, while Natural sound is BIG enough, or DRAMATIC enough to help tell the story.

Now I can only produce that NAT SOUND here with some ONOMATOPOEIA. And you are going to have to imagine the pictures are moving.

I'm going to share with you some of my favorite digital snapshots of the past year. The captions will include NAT SOUND and SOUNDBITES (Words spoken by the subjects in the story. Sometimes the speaker will be seen in the picture. Sometimes the speakers words will be covered with what they are commenting on.)

What won't be there will be words the reporter would write to pull the story together. The secret to a really good TV story is to keep those transition phrases to a minimum. As I tell my students the secret is to UNWRITE your story.

So here's the game. Why don't you tune in EVERY DAY this week, and start piecing together your own story using the pictures, sounds and captions I provide.

And I'll be doing the same thing.  And on Friday, the Anniversary of PaulsModestMusings?  We can all compare. What fun, eh?

So, now go back up to the pictures and captions (make sure you see and read them all) and get started. What fun we're all going to have.

WILL YOUR STORY MAKE THE GRADE? WILL THE AUDIENCE STAY TUNED? Or during your story will everyone reach for the remote, and head for the FRIDGE. DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS ONCE IN A LIFETIME CREATIVE OPPORTUNITY. THE STORY RACE IS ON! Or you can just send $29.95 and get the CLIFF notes.

here we go!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cock-A-Doodle-Who Done it?

Denver's most prominent piece of poultry is missing in action.  

Neighbors were suprised in what they DID NOT hear yesterday morning.

As dawn set, Rufus, an awarding winning rooster, did not crow.  

Neighbors notified authorities immediately.  A small girl seems to be the only witness.

She said she saw a "hip hop looking rapper guy" ride in on a steer just before dawn.  

She hopped on her power wheel and followed the bandit as far as she could before her battery ran low, forcing her to return home.

She told authorities that she saw his steer duck behind the alley at starbucks.

Police have not been able to find the man in the crooked hat, but a spokes person for the department said, "We WILL find that rooster.  If we have to tear the city apart, Rufus WILL crow again."

Police ask if you have any information, or have seen this man (insert police drawing) please contact your local police headquarters.

There is a $35 dollar reward for the safe return of Rufus Rooster.

I'm Lennon McCarthy for channel 41 news.

Anonymous said...

I don't get it - you want comments on all of your pictures - that would take a long time!  What an assignment!  Theda

Anonymous said...

I dont even know what to think about any of the captions or that blog. But I guess Im just gonna do as you say! My story is gonna be dang good. see you friday!

Anonymous said...

My cheque is in the mail.

Anonymous said...

I think Lennon needs to read Paul's instructions again.