Sunday, April 16, 2006

With All the Frills Upon It

Flirtatious: " Want to share my bath water?" [Don't Jump To A Conclusion.]

Real Mood: Full of Peace

Prediction: Some "pea brained adults" will buy their kids baby chickens for Easter.

Well its Easter isn't it? Here's how I know. One, I get up and it is a beautiful day. I see just a few clouds. It's brisk but rapidly warming. It's what I call perfect weather.  The grass is greening up, our Maple and our Elm are starting to leaf out. 

Of course these observations are just Easter extras. They don't fully contribute to my KNOWING it's Easter.

Even before I wash my face...I put on some pants and shoes and head out to get the paper.  That's when it hits me. You see Peggy and I are likely the only Empty Nesters for three miles in any direction?

So up and down the street families are coming off the front porches all dollied up.  Some boys are wearing their first ties. Their hair is set in place with some sort of cement gel.  The girls are in these wonderful pink and blue frilly dresses that belong only to Easter. And they all have hats (we called 'em bonnets in our day.).

They are all happy and chattering and posing for pictures. Then it strikes me hard. Next, they will get into their SUVs and likely head to church.  The option is to have Easter Breakfast instead of Easter Brunch or Easter Lunch before going to services. You see almost every Sunday of the year Peggy and I go out to breakfast?

Remember when you, or you knew about this GUY who used to have a few drinks most days?  And then on New Year's Eve someone invites you, or THIS GUY to this big blow out? What do you or THIS GUY say? Remember? This is what you or THIS GUY said:

" New Years Eve is for amateurs!"

Well, lucky for me I see all these dollied up families.  It allows me to say (to myself), " I NEVER go to breakfast on Easter Sunday.  That's for amateurs." 

So instead I fix myself my potatoe ( I know it's not the preferred spelling, but if a Vice President can do it that way?) and radish omelet. Peggy never seems to feel left out when she doesn't get a bite.

So here's my Easter. I head out on the deck with the paper, my omelete and coffee. And with everybody off to church or breakfast or brunch? It's all mine.  The World is mine.  I do two crossword puzzles while I'm dining. My head is really cleared.There is no wind. If there is a weather menu? This is the entree I pick. Thank you Lord and I didn't even ask.  I own this! 

That's what I'm thinking when a Robin jumps into the bird bath, I'm not exaggerating, two feet in front of me. It takes a few sips and then true to the device's function? The Robin takes this bath, and shares half the water with me!

[SEE PICTURE 1]

Then about ten feet in front me this little head pops up over some edging. Its my friend the 13 lined ground squirrel that shows up every Spring and eats our Crocus. (The book says he's supposed to eat weeds!)  

Then this "danged"  Northern Flicker starts noisily eating the shingles off our roof!

[SEE PICTURE 2]

I don't know what you're reaction to all this might be, but mine?

"Where's My Camera?"

So it's back inside to get the camera and two lenses.

Talk about multitasking. I'm eating my omelet,  drinking my coffee, reading the sports section, keeping my eye out for Robins and Squirrels, changing lenses, adjusting the tripod, and listening to this wonderful silence broken only by the love songs of birds.

Is this what Easter is all about? If it were there might be Peace on Earth.

But, aha, they're BAAck!.  They're getting home from sanctuarys and restaurants. LISTEN to the chatter.

"Mommy, mommy, I found one."

"Thats wonderful sweetie, don't get any mud on your dress. Sweetie,  DO YOU think there might be one over by the rock in front of the rabbit hutch?"

[How'd they get that past the HOA?]

"Hey, Dad, I got seven eggs and I only had to push Julie out of the way three times."

"Is that the best you can do Spike! I taught you better than that. Now get out there and fill up that basket. DO YOU HEAR ME MISTER?"

"Yes sir!."

I wonder if he made his kids pay the entrance fee?

It's all coming back to me now.  Oh, yeah, EASTER!

I got a lot of upset response about my last posting. Some of my students who must soon face the real TV world?  You all need to know you get used to working on Holidays. And as long as they don't come during the top rating periods?  A juicy red delicious apple, one heck of an agent, and some seniority might get you Labor Day off. 

AND LET ME BE GENEROUS. IT'S NOT OFFICIAL, BUT I THINK I JUST MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET YOU OFF FOR AN HOUR ON THE 28TH OF THIS MONTH TO CELEBRATE THE FIRST ANNIVERSARY OF PaulsModestMusings. HOW ABOUT THEM APPLES.

hope you had a wonderful easter...now take the cute little chickens back to the pet store.  

No comments: