Sunday, April 9, 2006

You Be The Judge!

Flirtatious: "Now you put your left hand on the club like this, and then your bring your right hand over the top of it like this!"

Real Mood: In Recovery

Prediction: Phil Mickelson will win the Masters. (You're kidding? He did? You mean I'm right?)  (It wouldn't be right for me to compile all my predictions and see how many I got right. One of you should do that for me.)

Let us return now to our soap opera, "Instinctively Distinct."

In Chapter two we found Paul still roaming the Earth in a dither. What could possibly bring him back into the world of sense, and let me be redundant, order?

"Come  on Silly! Golf of course."

Paul and Peggy are watching the Master's golfers finish up their third round due to a rain delay.  Here is a game that's easy to follow. They all take turns hitting balls. The one who hits his balls (Annika Sorenstam not invited) the fewest times, wins!  It's simple. It's orderly.  Follow the rules and the order you  are supposed to play in? You, too, might become a Master.

Keep this in mind because I've got some inside information that Paul is going lead us astray.

Peggy likes to paint.  I think in her younger days she would have excelled as a grafitti artist. I say that because I've never seen a surface she didn't want to slap some paint on.

Me? I like to play with words and images. I love double and triple entendre. I'm like a child when  it comes to an opportunity to play punster. (Only Wayne Harrison, who you may not know, is worse.)  

You know that's not always a popular trait? I'm not sure I can give you a good number on how many people close to me have uttered, "Paul? Grow Up."

Of course my 'instinctively distinct' reply is, "Why?"

I hope you haven't forgotten that Peggy and I are watching the Master's Golf Tournament this morning.  Well, we take a break when they finish the third round. We go for a three mile walk.

(THREE is not a number significant to this posting. But since it popped up? Did you realize how addicted to three's we are? If you order a coke?

"Small, Medium or Large sir?"

Renting a car?

"Compact, Mid Size or Full Size sir?"

I used to tell my Speech students that if you shared FOUR points with your audience? You wasted some time because they started looking for the summary after three.)

Go ahead and get  back to your three bean salad and I'll try to get back on "message."

Let's see? Did I tell you Peggy likes to paint on most all surfaces? I think I might have suggested I love to fool around with words? And let's see, didn't I tell you we go for this three mile hike after watching the third round of the Masters? If not, what I just wrote should get you up to speed.

So as we are "hopping along the bunny trail?" Peggy sees some big rocks stacked on top of each other like they are a monument? The only relevance of that observation is that it got me to thinkin? Lately Peggy has been picking up rocks out of the yard? And painting on them?  I've discoverd a ROCK is not necessarily and DISTINCTIVELY a ROCK. Peggy can turn them into anything her little imagination desires.

One of the interesting things about this Master's Tournament is how many of the old Master's are leading the pack on the final round.  Even old Rocco.

So anyway we're hitting the last mile of our walk and I espy some wonderfully shaped rocks that could be cars, or books, or motorcyles. They could just be whatever Peggy "The Surface Painter" wants them to be.

I say to Peggy, who is not currently watching the old timers like Rocco in the Master's Tournament, " you want me to pick up some of those rocks and take them home so you can paint on them?"

Forget the Grafitti prediction? Peggy would never paint on anything she didn't own? These rocks were where they were meant to be!

"NO! PAUL, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?"

I was thnkin' I could get her some rocks she could paint on while we watched the final round of the Masters.

You can tell it's hard to shut me up.

"Peggy, nobody is going to miss a few rocks. If they did we wouldn't have the Washington Monument!"

"Easy for you to say. I would be the one who'd get thrown behind bars."

My mind wanders for a minute and I'm thinking about the Masters and wondering if Rocco Mediate is still in the running. Then Back on Point.

"Look Peggy just pick up a ROCK and OH, if you get arrested? I'll MEDIATE!"

That's it. That's why you stuck around. You stuck around to imagine me sitting in front of my computer giggling and thinking how clever I am.

Go ahead, get it out of your system!

"PAUL! GROW UP!"

Not an Instinctively Distinct chance!

WE ARE DISTINCTIVELY MARCHING CLOSER AND CLOSER TO THE ANNIVERSARY OF PaulsModestMusings. AS EXCITING AS THIS POSTING WAS? NOT EVEN CLOSE TO WHAT WE'LL BE DOING APRIL 28TH.

peggy and i are wondering why magazine publishers think we want an average of five ad inserts to fall into our laps while we are perusing their print.  when does "saturation" turn to "aggravation."  

For the record? I perdicted Mickelson's victory an hour before he acutally won it.  You can confirm that with a time stamp of some sort.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

birth, life, death.  hewy, lewy, dewy. Three stooges.  Peter, Paul and Mary.  Definitley a lot of threes.   Oh, and things falling out of the magazines don't really bother me.  But I'd LOVE to get the junk mail stopped!!!!!!!  Someone should figure out how many hours a month are spent sifting through it.  How many mortgages can one person have???  

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Not to mention Rama, Shiva,  and Vishnu.  Goldilox and the Three Bears.  Winkin' Blinkin" and Nod.  Three Little Oinks.  The Five LIttle Peppers and How They Grew.  Ten LIttle Indians.  There's something deeply profound going on here.