Thursday, April 27, 2006

THE REEuhl THING

Flirtatious: "AOL, I'd you like a kiss from you....right here!"

Real Mood: Almost Over It!

Prediction: I'm going to get a great picture to share with you tommorrow.

Oh, I am so UNHAPPY! I have written this twice now and it went away both times before I saved it.  So I'm going to save it RIGHT  now and often, or I won't have a posting on the Eve of the Anniversary of PaulsModestMusings.

It just happened a third time. AOL, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY SOUL!

So, I’m now writing off line and I’ll send this to you all snail mail if I have to. And I’m now drinking a bottle of five dollar merlot.

 

Are you all familiar with the logical notion that the first year of anything can't be it's anniversary? You can't celebrate the repetition of something that hasn't been repeated yet. But there is no way I'm going to drag this out another year.

 

I can’t even remember any special motivation required to get me to write something. Writing has been a passion since I was in the 7th grade.

 

I’ve been essentially writing for a living, in some fashion, for more than 40 years. But this is different. .This is the first time I’ve pushed Myself to write Everyday. NO!, I didn’t write Everyday, but I’m pretty sure my story count beats any year I worked in a newsroom. I know it beats any previous word count.  I’m pretty proud of my output. It is not easy when there never is “A CHECK IN THE MAIL.”

 

Here’s what I’ve liked about this process. I’ve been able to freely break the bonds [I never call them rules] of grammar, punctuation and journalistic story form. I’ve been free to editorialize.[ I've tried to keep it to a minimum, or at least not very inflammatory.] 

 

I like that I haven't been censored. [ I think AOL may have quietly rapped my knuckles a few times. But from what I've seen of some BLOGS?  I'm pretty bland.  I know some of your corporate sites screen me out, but I think that's because they took the wrong side of some of my double entendres. I accuse those corporations of having unclean, nay, overly suspicious mental synaptical vocabulaphobia.]

 

I’ve developed a new style of writing. I’ve been able to ignore the priority of story stacking by committee.  Whatever I think is most important?  Hey, that’s my lead.

 

This has been a wonderful opportunity to connect with some very special people I’ve never met. [ Loved your last response "sighlemaccaba"]

And it’s been a great opportunity to re-connect with some people I’ve tipped a few with over the years.

 

BUT, in the words of our new PRESIDENTIAL SPOKESJOURNALIST, [Don’t sue me Tony Snow] let’s be FAIR and BALANCED.

 

This is a lonely pursuit. I miss the camaraderie of a newsroom. I miss the teamwork of five or six people working hand in hand to get a story on the air.

I miss sitting in a sports bar with Jim Weis following a ten hour day at DIA. We’re both of us downing long neck Buds, staring at sports scores, saying nothing.[THAT'S MEN TALK LADIES]

I miss the adrenelin rush when NEWS BREAKS OUT! What fun to hear a hot story over the scanners and see Deb Stanley come out of her chair like a rocket.

Oh, it happened again! I'll finish this in the morning. This has not been fun.

It's now the morning!

I had some other great stuff here. But I'm going to stop wasting my energy.  Except to imagine?

If there is intelligent life in space and other planets? If that intelligence scours atmospheres for signs of writtencommunication? Then SOME SOUL got my good stuff. And besides, anger and frustration seldom result in anything fun on your anniversary.

BUT DON'T FORGET TO LOOK AT THE NEW PICTURES.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading your  4/27 this morning, 4/28. and I'll read the rest of your 4/27 when it gets posted.  Meanwhile, I am GIDDY with excitement, spinning like a dervish or maybe a whirligig.  It is April 28!!  I'm having a few friends and neighbors in for a celebratory champagne breakfast.  Later on, we'll try to sneak in a few fireworks.  Just as well those Cliff notes never arrived.  I'd never be able to concentrate.
So congratulations already!  Happy First and Many More.  And Ya Basta with AOL!

Anonymous said...

Whoa, that was the most runaround thing I ever read!!! You must of had a lot of stuff going through your head.  I always do that, I always am thinking so many things when I write, and then it looks like a small part of a bunch of stories, but in my head it makes sense, haha=)  Your blogging reminds me of my journaling, but there's  no way I'd ever let the whole world read it!! Happy almost anniversary on the day you wrote this...=)