Thursday, February 1, 2007

Hey, Look Me Over!

I think the aliens have gotten into my computer.  They wouldn't let me save for almost a half hour. This better not be identity theft. Believe me, if you're the bandit, I'll hunt you down and perform a lobotomy on you, so you won't even care if you ever do this again.

Okay, let's get back on message. HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU SAY SNOW?

Yeah, we got it again last night, more coming tonight, temperature going below ZERO F tommorrow night.  And yet I've found another silver lining. You may not concur, but I love the fashion statements that come out in this weather.  The only real fashion issue is staying warm.

And that opens the door to choices all over the style spectrum.  I sometimes think its the only time we really become ourselves. I owe my attitude to my late father.  Sometimes you hear the exaggeration "I only wear my suit to weddings and funerals?"  My dad lived that adage with the possibility of a few exceptions. Those exceptions would be the times he DIDN'T wear a suit to a wedding or funeral.

When I first quit teaching in the 60's I beat the students out the door at the final bell, got to my car, RIPPED off my tie, and then ran over it three times. In honor of dad of course.  That's just so you know where I'm coming from here.

I once did a weather story along the outdoor mall here in town when the mercury couldn't make up its mind.

"Let us see. Should I be cold, or should I warm up?"

It was a total delight for me to discover that we couldn't make up our minds either. Coats were half on, half off, wrapped around the waist, slung over the shoulder, buttoned, unbuttoned, tossed on the table. left in the car.  It was, IN MY MIND, an incredible display of individuality.

And when and where did we acquire these fashionable rags? WOW!

Well that's all I think I will or should say on this subject. I've got one more issue.  This is directed at the Rocky Mountain News, one of two local urbane daily purveyors of journalistic domination.

Listen you guys, I'm pretty sure ( aging male, dwindling vision issues) I represent a huge portion of your demographic. Ergo I think you guys ought listen and listen good! QUIT MOVING THE PUZZLES AROUND AND MAKING THE TYPE smaller. Don't force me to go to the internet to get my Celebrity Cipher, or even worse? I just might switch to your evil twin (The Denver Post) and do the Crypto Quip instead.  Think about it.  It's your choice. I think I'm speaking for a whole generation here.

If you're getting married, can I come in just a sport coat? I think I've got one somewhere in basement.

 

BRRRRR!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of shrinking print, is there any way to enlarge or boldify yours?  I hesitate to refer to readiing your prose a chore, but sometimes one must call as oine sees it - or doesn't see it.  I keep waiting for the Boomers to get the ball rolling.