Friday, February 2, 2007

High Hopes!

Every night for the past two months these STRANGE lights appear in the snowbanks in our backyard.  Aliens again, along with the rabbits and the mallard?  Nay, they are just signs (neon- like) of the time.

I plan on doing this story later on? But two realities are forcing me to alter my agenda. You see, first of all, the SNOW MEN, aka weather persons, are now predicting a fairly dramatic warm up. With a couple inches of melt you'll know the source of the lights anyway.

The other reality is the Rocky Mountain News (I refuse to accept the possibility they do this 'cause I carped about their type size) do a front page tease of the very story I've been working on for you.  So there will be no more mystery, no teases, no more secrets.

See, most of these BIG piles of snow FALL around the HOLIDAYS? And during the holidays many of us put up outdoor light displays?  Typically, mostly the result of neighbor or HOA committees, these displays will have been boxed up and stowed in the basement by now.

Well, problem is, we can't get to them.  They are in many cases, like this one, encased in three foot high blocks of ice. We can't pull the wiring in until it melts. So the lights are there? Why not plug them in? And pretend for a while they're aliens.

In truth we're ready to put them away.

A quote from one of Peggy's tennis pals: "I'm done with snow! I've lived here all my life, and I'm DONE with snow."   With the threat of melting looming, I call that one heck of a POWER WISH!.

Before It melts? Hey, Hollywood! If anybody is thinking about doing a remake of Dr. Zhivago?  Get here quick. You won't need to build sets, and you won't need to fly to St. Petersburg. And yeah, you can get vodka here.

With this melt threat pending, Peggy and I run around taking some pictures to secure a lasting impression? There are some really cool ground blizzards taking place today.  I've added some pics for your amusement.

This melt is coming just in time for the TV stations.  The February sweeps (ratings period) is underway. With continuing breaking snow news stories? They'd have to give up the sensational pieces they've been putting together to secure your loyalty. I'm not a big fan of the HYPE that goes along with it. I call it the "Chicken Little" season.  It sure is fun sitting back watching the competition from my couch. It is not always fun to be a part of it.

As the snow leaves? Do expect to hear about and see some stories on HUGE "pothole-turned-sinkhole" stories coming up.  They're inevitable. When it happens I'll make every effort to share.

Go Bears....Go Colts. Growing up in LA there were so many teams around you could do that and not get beat up.  I just hope its a good game. And sorry. Come Monday? Don't come to me for sympathy or celebration. What ever happened to "Big Daddy" Lipscomb anyway?

No comments: