Saturday, February 10, 2007

Picky, Picky, Picky

17th century Metaphysical Poet John Donne penned the words,  "Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind."

[He might be more popularly quoted today had he slipped something in there about woman kind.]

I do agree with John Donne. The death of Anna Nicole Smith diminishes me. But I'm sorry Fox TV, and whoever else used this phrasing early on.  The death of Anna Nicole Smith is NOT a TRAGEDY.

As you may know I've just recently given my stamp of approval (who cares Paul) to tinker with the language.  But with the common every day use of TRAGEDY? We've just mangled the term from benign neglect.

Some of my friends in the media have suffered through my arrogant ranting on this issue.  Please bear with me one more time.

You know I think arrogance is the result of someone knowing something, thinking they know something, or just having their button pushed on some issue that really doesn't matter very much?

Well, I think the justification can be found to put this rant in any one of those slots.  But at least in this case I have Aristotle and Bill Shakespeare on my side.

Don't ask me why, but the word tragedy is derived from the Greek word 'tragos,' or goat.  I know the misuse of the word certainly gets my GOAT.

Back to Aristotle and Bill. I'm just going to toss out some criteria used by those guys before they employed use of the word Tragedy.

"An event resulting in great loss and misfortune."  "The main character, protagonist, must be of noble stature." " The death of the protagonist results in a universal sense of loss and misfortune." "The death excites universal terror or pity." "There is universal mourning resulting in universal catharsis."

In one of the daily newspapers here in town today I read of the "tragic" loss of cattle out on the prairie. I can't tell you how many times I've watched the "tragic" burning down of a house (any house). Was it a "tragedy" when someone stole one hundred boxes of cookies from the Girl Scouts?  Was it "tragic" when a pet cat slid off the ice into the lake?  Stop me!

In her defense Anna Nicole Smith fits neatly into one TRAGIC lab test. The main character's downfall (death) is the result of a "tragic flaw, moral weakness, an inability to cope."

But there are so many other words that can easily describe Anna Nicole's passing. That way we wouldn't  have to categorize her with a group that might include Gandhi or Mother Teresa or Oedipus or Hamlet.

It really is sad, unfortunate, premature, ironic, untimely, pitiful and mournful that Anna Nicole Smith dies. And you know what? I haven't even opened the thesaurus yet.

Okay, I'm done.  With this tragic warning.  When I die? And you are still on the planet behind me? DO NOT, I say, DO NOT refer to my death as tragic. If you do? I will haunt you as the ghost of  Banquo for the rest your life.

'OUT, OUT DAMNED SPOT!"

Have you bird brains up there found an appropriate adjective yet?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A terrible tragedy has taken place hgere - I have written at least three thought-provokinbg comments and they have all disappeared.  What gives???

Anonymous said...

I certainly agree that tradgedy is a misused word. But what about decimate?  Thanks to a Monk episode from about 3 years ago, I now know that decimate means to kill one in 10; as in Roman soldiers.  If I had taken a second to look at the word, I might have figured that out; the one in 10 part, not the Roman soldier part.  But I have been outraged ever since at the tradgedy of the media ( yes, just the media; average joe doesn't talk like that!) misusing the word decimate!!!! You know, I could go on and on about the misuse of the english language, but instead, I'll refer you to a fabulous book.  Eats Shoots and Leaves.  Can't think of the author, but very good.  All future media folks should peruse it at least briefly.

Okay, I feel better now!!

Rhonda