Monday, October 30, 2006

Rock Around the Clock

Some of you are starting to scare me. I do this harmless little treatise on my “get back my health” routine? And now a few of you say it’s inspired you to “give it a go.” Man, this may be more pressure than I can bear.  Who is going to hold my hand if I fall off the wagon?  Are there rehab centers for stuff like this?

 

So Sunday, in between football games? I hop on my bike and get in a quick 20 mile ride. Then, after the last game? I run down to the gym and lift weights for an hour. And then since no one is out on the basketball court because I’m the only one left in the building on a Sunday night?  I shoot hoops for a half hour. I go home exhausted with high expectations that I’d lost some weight. NARY AN OUNCE!

So Monday, when I’m actually writing this off line? I get up early, jump into my shorts and run the stairs for 10 minutes. Now, I have in fact knocked off a pound. But I’m pretty sure it isn’t going to hold.  So I run a bunch of errands which include breakfast,  and head off to class. I am pretty sure I’ve eaten enough to get that pound back.

AFTER class I get home, jump back into my shorts, and head over to the local tennis courts. There I hit balls for an hour.  (This is the kind of stuff I used to do when I was sixteen. For the record I am no longer sixteen.)

 Well I run around the court enough to work up a sweat, but even then I’m worried about that imagined pound. So what else can I do?

I remember a congratulatory response I get from Local TV anchor Jim Benemann. He then takes a wiser approach than many of you. He suggests I run a few laps FOR him.

So, off I go to the local high school and crank out a couple of laps for Jim. I personally would characterize the pace as being somewhere between a jog and a trot. DONE!

AND you should feel them Jim. For one thing, I ran them in the outside lane of the track. And I sprint the last 20 yards. FEEL THE PAIN!

I think I’m going to make this assigned reading for senior students who come to me in torture ‘cause they haven’t accomplished their “Life’s Goals” yet.

Ah, plenty of time ahead of you to follow your rainbows. No matter how serious or silly they might  be.

 

Addendum: You've heard people talk about their weight loss excitement when they can acutally see their feet again standing up? Well the thrill for me is rediscovering my appendectomy scar. Cool. And I probably shouldn't be sharing this about my belly button but here goes. My OUTIE? It's once again an INNIE! TOO COOL!

No comments: