Monday, October 9, 2006

NUKE is just one syllable!

Some historian or linguist is going to get all over me for this.  But you know what?  What the heck! All history is urban or rural legend, RIGHT?

If the legend helps illustrate your point?  I say, as long as it's not hurting anybody?  Go with it.

So, the legend says, the Spanish Castillian dialect can trace it's so-called "lisp" to one of two kings.  They would be King Phillip the Second [The Tooth?] or King Ferdinand.  Story is one of them spoke with a lisp, and his Spanish subjects not wanting to offend him? They, too, decide to "lisp."

So? Barcelona becomes Barthelona?  Madrid becomes Madrith?

Okay, I know phonetically it's not a true dysfunctional lisp. I know the evolution of language is far more complex to attribute it to one monarch.

Still?  The Iberian Myth is going to be very helpful in the discussion I'm about to initiate.  So work with me.  Let's hang on to the legend for a few minutes.

[DISCLAIMER: The Following is not a political statement. It is the creation of a "flaming" Independant.  As a former journalist I pride myself on my ability to straddle the barbed wire fence of public opinion and policy. Even in retirement I reserve the right to make fun of all politicians and historical figures.}

 

Every King or Queen, every Prime Minister, every Dictator, every President, day dreams of the legacy he or she will bequeath to future generations.

Certainly his handling of Iraq will be on "GW"s bequeathing plate. So too, now, will be the fashion and result of his dealing with North Korea's messin' around with atomic energy.  The jury is clearly still out on both issues. 

However, there is one position our Chief Executive has taken that is clearly being dished up for us to shun or absorb NOW! Each of us will have to decide for ourselves where we stand and what we will do with this decision, on into OUR  futures, and our CHILDREN'S futures.

"What are you talking about Paul? Get to the point for heaven's sake."

Okay.  Quite simply, since he balks at any suggestion of reform, we are going to have to choose how we are going to pronounce the word spelled, N-U-C-L-E-A-R.

This distinguished man of Yale letters is adamantly determined we will all say together, come on now!

"NEW CUE LURE." Come on now, he's our leader.  Do we go with it?  In a couple of centuries from now we can always plant a scholar or phonetisist who will up and say,  " it's just an urban myth. The pronunciation NEW CUE LURE just evolved with the dynamism of the American English dialect.

And you know? I could almost join the bandwagon at that level? 

But then this morning in his brief speech from the White House?  After tossing in a few NEW CUE LURES? 

He hits us with a new one?  There is trouble out there on that "Korean PIN IN SHOE LUH."   Yuk! And while I didn't tape it, I'm thinking I heard it in the adjectival form later on? Didn't he also say "PIN IN SHOE LURE?"  If not, I'm sure it's on it's way.

Remember how George Senior bumped his head all the time?  And he couldn't get passed calling that Iraqui guy SUH DAMN?

It has to be a dominant male genetic link. And so, if we're patient? The girls are adopted.  They shouldn't pick it up. And Laura doesn't talk that way.  Let's just humor him for a couple of years and go back to the original before some historian pencils it in to "Revised Edition 2008." That's what I think. 

Send me to the guillotine if you like.  I will never utter PIN IN SHOE LURE.

Shame on you YALE!

How you votin' BullyDozer?

 

No comments: