Sunday, October 22, 2006

MY Loss is MY Gain

Yeah, that's me. I'm in a pair of pants that were tight 4 months ago. And that's a tee shirt I haven't been able to get into for 6 years. For the record I'm 6 inches thinner around waist and 33 pounds lighter. That's it for the ad isn't it?  Now I just have to jump up and down and tell you how it's changed my life, and I feel sexy again, right?

I tell myself I'm not going to talk about this unless a bunch of people get brave enough to actually say something to me.  So here's some conversations I'm having?

"Wow!"

"Thanks."

"Subway?"

"No!"

"Atkins? South Beach I'll bet!"

"Uh, Uh!"

From my generation?

"You must be on the Mayo Clinic Diet."

"FAT CHANCE!" ( The Mayo Clinic always disavowed any connection with that regimen.)

"Pritikin?"

"Not on your life."

From the concerned:

"I was afraid to ask for fear you might be seriously ill."

"No, no, no, no! Relax.  I'm good."

I'll tell you HOW good a few paragraphs down.

I'm blabbing about this, in part, because it forces me into a commitment. I WILL NOT gain a pound through the holidays. Hold me to it. I've never been able to achieve that goal.

I'm also talking about it because being sexy again means nothing if you can't brag like this:

Cholesteral total: 125

LDL:                     46

HDL:                     69

BP  average         116/72

I'm still on some MEDS, but barely.

So how? Well, first I talk to my doctor who removes all excuses.

"Sorry Paul, but there are absolutely no limits on your exercise."

And here is some shocking  revolutionary doctor's advice:

"Eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits and limit your intake of red meat."

Earth Shaking, don't you think? Gosh if I'd known that earlier?

[Disclaimer: Don't try any of this without consulting with your own medical guru.]

I'm going to give my get in shape program a name. I'm going to call it the LTM plan.

"Eh?"

On most given days I can't find my glasses, my pen, my cell phone, my school bag. Why? Like many of you in my age category and plus, my short term memory sucks. Therefore, I've decided to rely on my long term memory, or LTM.

So I question myself:

"When in your life were you in good shape?"

    High School Football , Warehouse, Peace Corps Training, Early Teaching years, Late 30's.

How did you get there?

   Two a days, 100 pound flour sacks, two a days, running.

What did you eat?

   Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, and an occasional steak.

How often did you exercise?

   Twice a day

What kinds of exercise?

   Table Tennis, Unicycle, Football,  Basketball,  Running,  Jogging,  Body Surfing, Volleyball, Running on Beach, Cycling, Hiking, Skiing, Weight Lifting, Tennis, and some Swimming.  

What were your stumbling blocks?

    I'd get bored. No one to play with.  I'd say to myself I was too busy. I'd get injured. I'd get competitive and frustrated I couldn't win all the time. I'd get depressed over some key life event.  I'd just decide it was time to relax.  I'd slip into some less than healthy extra curricular activites. I'd smoke. I'd drink.

Well, okay then. Here's the LTM

   I'm eating lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.

   I'm doing something physical at least once a day. [My GOAL is to do two a days every day.]

   I plan solo exercise activities. Someone to play with is always a bonus. 

   I meditate to get through life frustrations.

   When I get lazy I remind myself how good I feel.

   I don't smoke.

   I drink in moderation.

Sorry, but that's it.  That's Paul's LTM get in shape plan. No charge!

Can't be any good then, can it?

By the way? On my last entry some of you thought I Photo Shopped that Pink Semi.  Not so. Somebody actually owns and drives a PINK SEMI.  I'll see if I can find out who.  It may take a while.  Be patient.

I'd love to stick around and chat, but I've gotta RUN.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! That's great!!  I'm just trying to eat 5 times a day.  Do you know how hard that is???   Once I attain that goal, I'm going to shoot for 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.  I can't imagine I'd want anything to do with red meat after all that!!!!  Oh, and there's a trucking company out here that I can only assume is owned by a woman.  The trucks are lavender with lacy curtains in the windows and they are driven by women.  Maybe her cousin owns trucks in Denver.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Paul!  I am going to have to take some of your doet loss tips, because it is time for me to get healthy as well!  Thanks for giving me some inspiration!  Keep up the good work!
Michelle