Wednesday, October 4, 2006

The Gallery

[BULLYDOZER ART GALLERY, OPEN 24-7. (no smoking in the gallery) CHILDREN UNDER 40 MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT.]

 

Before we get into BullyDozer Art? Let's take a few detours.

Do you ever just get proud of your brain?  You know it just takes off and does it's thing without your help?  And it comes out great.?

So here we are in Vitamin Cottage. That's a health food store with groceries.  For those of you in California it's kind of like a poor man's Trader Joes.

So anyway?  We're in the store checking out.  It's been dry lately and at the last minute I'm thinking, "I should get some lip balm."

So I say it out loud. "You got any lip balm?"

I think I hear the clerk say, "There's bird seed right in front of you."

"Huh?"

I like to think for my age I've got a pretty open mind. I don't think everything uttered has to pass a logic test before it's launched.  But I'm getting nowhere with this puzzle.

"Huh?"

It turns out it's a hearing issue.

"That's Burts Bees (not bird seeds) right in front of you."

Most of you will recognize Burts Bees as a brand name for a variety of ointments including a LIP BALM.

"Thanks," as I pick my Burts Bees off the RACK. I'm placing it in my hand.

"Of course we have all kinds of them over here.  You want to take a look before I ring you up?"

"Yeah!"

So I'm finding this organic lemon-lime balm derived from HEMP? Why not! Live dangerously.

[relax DEA. I don't inhale.]

Well our economic status isn't such that I can go out and buy two lip balms "willy nilly" any time I want.

Decision time. 

"Well I think I'm going to go with the HEMP.  So just one thing left to do. I'm going to have to put BURT BACK ON THE RACK."

It just comes right out of some autonomic brain synapse and slides off my tongue.  And I am just SO amused with myself. Some around me are giggling, some groaning, and some just standing here with jaws unhinged. 

For the latter group? Think "Do you know the way to San Jose." Think Dionne Warwick. Think Angie Dickenson. (Don't tell Peggy. I've always been MADLY in love with Angie Dickenson.)

Well now that we have BurtBackontheRack, let's move on. You're killing me here?  You've never heard of Burt Bacharach? Plays the piano, all teeth, horrible voice? But somehow gets to Angie Dickenson before me?

Quite a few of you have been asking why I use so many ?????? marks in my postings? Well I'm TRYING to keep this a conversation.  And it's my observation? That's the inflection we use when we talk to each other.  Listen for it.

Now where were we?  Oh, yeah.  The BullyDozer Art Gallery is now open to the public. I always hate it when I'm in a museum or gallery and feel pressured to take in and absorb every piece of work on the wall in one standing.  So, in case you are of a common bent?  Or if you are just a person who knows what I'm talking about when I refer to the "Silver Bullet?"  I'm just going to dole out the BullyDozer series a couple of pieces at a time. It will give us all time to explore our own relationships with Heavy Equipment.

I hope, in the end, you'll decide I've given these magnificent "Earth Devouring" beasts their due.

I hope, like me, you'll begin to see their souls, their strengths, their weaknesses, their passions for dirt.

And hey, if I, or you get inspired to go another direction? Let's just go there. Maybe a BullyDozer will give us ride?  [THINK ABOUT IT.]

"Okay, Governor, go ahead and cut the ribbon!"

[Peggy just read this and says you should magnify the artwork for full effectiveness. Now she knows about Angie.]

No comments: