Thursday, March 2, 2006

"INFRA WHAT?"

Flirtatious: "That's a pretty cute construction trailer you got there!"

Real Mood: Self Servingly Amused

Prediction: "There will be a new,  almost secret, 28 million gallon water reservoir in town in 2007."

A person can't preach "write every day" if that person ain't writin' every day. So let's just see where this goes.  I've had a pretty interesting week with my TV journalism class.

On Tuesday I take seven of them to what appears to be a raised soccer field. I know better. This is my chance to point out that there is always more to a story than what's on the surface.

See, under that soccer field? There are two huge treated water reservoirs. Had I had more time I might have been able to finagle some access to them. 

I've done stories on them, and they are eye boggling.  With lights shining on their surface they look like huge Roman baths,  sans all the art work. 

It's strange that there are a slew of these reservoirs in our neighborhoods that go undetected. 

And that may have been the case in this situation. Often things people tell you go unrepsonded to because those things are invisible. A normal level of skepticism says, "yeah, right! I gotta get to work!"

That may have been the case in this situation had I not done some snooping around.  I lead my potential skeptics right into the middle of a construction site.  There in front of us?  Heavy equipment is knocking down concrete walls of this very large basin.  I take one look and say to myself, "my credibility is home free on this one."

They are in the process of rebuilding a third reservoir. There the  THING is without water. One of the better reactions I've had on one of these little discovery missions comes from Al Cardenas.

Al is a police officer who used to work in the city dispatch center. The dispatch center sits right next to what Al always assumed was just a soccer field. 

Peripherally I see Al's Jaw drop.

"But what used to be here?  I know something was here."

I think it was just some sort of soft macadam surface roof next to the soccer field. Without a briefing there was no way for Al to know there was 28 million gallons of water down there.  And another 40 million gallons underneath the soccer field?

To me it's fascinating stuff.  But try to sell anything that says "infrastructure" to a producer or news director?  You gotta be good and lucky to pull that off.

In case anyone reading this is ever in that situation? Talk about the force of water, the dramatic sound it makes as it cascades down the path of gravity. Remind them of the passifying effect of negative ions that pop up from the rushing nectar of life.

None of that may work.  If it doesn't? Tell them about the Metro State Journalism class confrontation with the construction site boss.

"Do you have permission to be on this property?"

"Hi! I'm an instructor at Metro State and just wanted to have my students get a sense of these underground reservoirs."

"Well you can't be here.  You don't have any hardhats. You didn't check in at the trailer."

Now if I'd of thought you were headed my way with your camera?

"What do you mean I can't be here.  I'm a taxpayer and this is Public Property! I'm gonna call the MEDIA!"

But I'd only be doing that so you could get your infrastructure story on the air.  Since I was pretty sure you weren't coming?

"Sorry, we just stumbled on to it. We were just getting ready to leave when you walked up?"

"Okay, then!"

"Say, how many gallons of water this thing hold."

"28 million!"

"Wow class! For once I didn't exaggerate."

"Well you can't stay here!"

"Oh, I know. How much water you got under those soccer fields?"

"40 thousand gallons. Now you need to leave."

"Absolutely! Can I get your card in case I have any more questions?"

"Uh, yeah! Here! Next time check in at the trailer."

"Absolutely will."

Walking away I suggest to class?

" I just got the story while no one was looking!"

What I wish I'd said?

"In this business you quite often get more information with HONEY than JALAPENO."

I hope some Greek or Shakespeare didn't say that first.

Today I took two students out to look at some airport INFRASTRUCTURE. Tommorrow I'll share some of that excitement with you.

That gives you something to look forward to while you ANTICIPATE THE ANNIVERSARY OF PaulsModestMusings. IT'S NOT THAT FAR AWAY NOW! IT HAPPENS SHORTLY AFTER INCOME TAX DAY. FILE ELECTRONICALLY AND YOU'LL HAVE THAT REFUND MONEY IN TIME FOR THE CELEBRATION.

No comments: