Saturday, February 25, 2006

Poh Pooh Ree

Flirtatious: "Can I pass you the butter rolls?"

Real Mood: Validated  (I'm only using that because of all the Olympic athletes using it the past few days to comment on both their success and failure.  Amazing! Gold may not Validate you, but maybe it would Elevate you above the world of cliche.)

Prediction: If you read on you're going to say "HUH?" at least three times.  I know I did. 

I've got it from a pretty good source that our favorite spot to show out of town visitors a Denver overview is closed, or about to close.  It's a theme restaurant with a really good regional history connection. The food is pretty decent whilst a tad pricey. But the view and the perspective has clearly been worth the price of admission. I'll update this when I can get it official.

If my source is correct, they are going to level this place to make room for condos or apartments. (Anything like that going on in your neighborhood?) So the view will still be available, just exclusive. It may be giving new meaning to the cliche "always try to make friends with people in high places." 

(that's kind of interesting going from the virtual back to the real, isn't it? I suppose when we see the prices of the condos, "high places" will have many meanings.)

This whole issue comes to light when I take one of my TV journalism students, Ray Cruz, on a quick jaunt around town. Let me give you an idea of how things just oddly connect themselves.

I show Ray a view very close to this restaurant because its where all of the local TV stations, (and networks when they visit) set up their satellite trucks to get the old "WOW," so that's Denver,  shot.

From there we go to see a  nearby neighborhood sculpture garden.   This very talented scrap metal sculptor moves back into his old neighborhood. He starts scavenging the alleys around him for raw material. (Call it focused dumpster diving.) Well along the way he picks up a lot of abandoned bicycles. Some strange "Karma" brings the sculptor in contact with neighborhood youth who need bike repairs. So when the zoning people stop by to say you can sculpt here? The neighborhood screams, "YES HE CAN!" I think he's been there at least 15 years since then.

So I'm thinking I should show Ray some other unique urban feature. So we head to Balestreri Vineyards. So you're thinking we hop on a jet, fly to San Francisco, zip out to Napa, and sip some Shiraz?  No, we just drive about two miles north of Denver into this metro area's most industrial complex.

IF your eyes are open, there,  next to the warehouses, power plants, and beer by the pitcher bars, you'll see them, about 2 acres max....row upon row of delicately cared for grape vines. (each row is electronically heated.)

A few blocks away you can find the Balestreri home and winery.  They hand bottle everything and have a small but delightful tasting room. The Balestreri's have been living in the area for several generations. They'd been in the cut flower business and knew the land was good. And hey, they're Italian. Italians usually make and know wine, don't they?  Why tie up the bathtub?

I try to stay away from endorsements, but there was an old TV cereal campaign with the theme statement, "Try it, you'll like it!" It would apply in this case for even the most delicate vino palate.

So anyway, here we are, at a winery? Well that inspires Ray to remember one of my BLOG entrys where I'm talking about Kyle's.  Kyle's is one of those bars where people of my generation go to get nostalgic.  There's a pool table, posters all over the place, a bar that's been through a few wars, comfort food, and an atmopshere that demands open and honest debate.

"Where is that Kyle's Paul?"

"Okay Ray, we'll go there."

I made a few wrong turns getting from wine to beer.  But that was okay because it took us through some other "earthy" neighborhoods I hadn't been to in a while.

"Wanna go in and have a glass of Tea?"

"Sure!"

Going from sunshine into the neon lights requires a few seconds of eye adjustment.  That's just along enough for me to focus on the voice I hear say, "Reinertson!"

There sits my old friend Tom Gleason, former spokesperson for Senator Gary Hart and Energy Secretary Federico Pena. Well we probably bore Ray with some "good old days" nostalgia when I tell Tom, "took Ray up near that restaurant where you can really "see" the city."

"Well I think it's closed or going to be closed soon," Tom says.

"Huh! Why?"

"Apartments or Condos is what I'm hearing!"

See how things just sort of connect if you let them, no matter what? 

"You want to pass me the pickled eggs?"

You learn pretty quick in Journalism that there is no such thing as a free cup of coffee (or glass of ice tea). To pay for my tea I promise to give directions to "Kyle's."

Whenever you're in Denver head East or West on I-70 to Quebec. Get off on Quebec and head South to Smith road.  Turn left or East on Smith Road until you reach the first street you come to where you can turn left over the railroad tracks. Drive straight ahead to Kyle's.  (Caution: You'll think you're lost the whole time you're getting there.)

I got a really fun response from Sheila from Yonkers on the Goose entry.  She sent it by regular e-mail but I have her permission to paste it in here.

Sheila says there are lots of "honkers" in "yonkers" that can drive you "bonkers."

But about our lone goose she writes, " That thar lonesome goose? It was herself-old Mother Goose in a bit of a snit. She was sick and tired of that gabbling honking bitching and moaning goose pack always on her heels and she just needed some space to find herself, so to speak. (did you mean, so to honk?)  Will she return to the Gaggle? I don't know. Will she make it to the Anniversary? At 60 mph, maybe."

If you are looking for a theme restaurant with a view? Simm's Landing East of Denver off of 6th avenue is still around. I owe them nothing. You'll have to find it on your own.

Maybe you'll want to visit Kyle's or Simm's Landing on your way to THE ANNIVERSARY OF Paul'sModestMusings, NOW JUST ABOUT TWO MONTHS AWAY.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know Paul, I really ddn't figure out what that blog was really about! Maybe it was a trip down memory lane, reminsicing of the good ole' days.  Maybe it was a metaphor.  An old timer, you (forgive the term, just lack of a better word), taking a springs chicken, Ray, around the town.  Allowing him to appreciate the little things this, or any, city has to offer, implying that our generation takes for granted many of the small treasures life has to offer.  No matter really, just so long as the Sunday Brunch at Sims Landing is around, I will be ok with whatever you were talking about in this, the latest of your Modest Musings!  Take Care Paul! Thanks for your help explaining the process of writing stories for TV!

Anonymous said...

Paul you have a very creative way of telling a story. I did say "Huh?" after I read this story about five times, but I still love it.

Anonymous said...

Paul, I'm going to be honest I really don't know what to say but thats a very nice picture....

carmo

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile, I've either been sick or busy at work. Thanks again for takin me around town, It was cool to see all of those spots. A Winery in Denver? Apparently so, lol. I owe somebody an iced tea. I still can't get over how that guy from the sculpture place acted. Lol. Anyway to the point I was trying to make, it was strange how everything is connected. One minute you're telling me about your friend that always eats lunuch there and when we show up he's there, plus with info on the view we just saw. Everything's always connected is a valueable tool any journalist must keep in mind. Thanks again...

Anonymous said...

Sure...I miss the class where you got to go to a winery AND a bar!!!!!!!!!! Sounds lik you guys had fun, but why the heck did you choose tea to go with you deviled eggs?!?! Thanks for the directions, I need a new bar to check out...=)