Sunday, March 12, 2006

While we're on the Subject

Flirtatious: "Want to sit here with me and watch snow melt?"

Real Mood: Incestuously Intrigued

Prediction: There will not be another snowstorm in Santa Cruz, California the rest of 2006. 

So I get back on line this weekend and get an e-mail from former student Kimmy Hidalgo. Kimmy is looking for a letter of recommendation for a summer internship. So?

Well then I get an e-mail from my sister Brenda telling me my nephew Matt,  and his wife Michele, are seeing how long they can keep a SNOWBALL alive in the SUN in Santa Cruz, California (beach town).  It's held up for two days now, and they think it may go three. Other than the fact it never snows in Santa Cruz? So?

Okay, try and stay with me on this one and see if you're mind can't be modestly blown.  Kimmy grew up in Santa Cruz. In fact she did a demonstration in one of my classes on skim boarding (essentially surfing backwards).

Kimmy knows this, by the way, but in case the rest of you aren't up to snuff? There is no surf (except at WaterWorld) in Colorado.  

My family had some close friends who ran the only hamburger stand on the boardwalk in Santa Cruz.  I'm not sure how long ago that was? (I remember the burgers as just being okay. They were a little rare for my taste.)

Matt's wife Michele also grew up in Santa Cruz and she may remember the burger joint. I'm sure her folks do. I doubt it's still there. Michele is probably more than ten years older than Kimmy, so they probably don't know each other, but you never know?

Now I have another former student, Melany Fehrenbach, an anchor on the weekly TV show students produce on campus. Well, Melany's MOTHER grew up in Santa Cruz.

Don't know if Kimmy, Michele and Melany's Mom could ever make a connection, or would even want to, but it tickles my fancy. Santa Cruz didn't used to be a very big town!

I'm not done yet.

Melany was born and partially raised in Ness City, Kansas.

Now my mother's sister's family, the Woolens, including cousin Sheila? Well, they partially grew up in  Scott City, Kansas.

[On a side note my Weblog friend sighlemacaba from Yonkers, New York? Her name is Sheila.]

Scott City, Kansas is just a watermelon's toss from Ness City. So ?

Well Sheila, my counsin, dates and later marrys a guy named Larry Miller. I think Larry grew up in Ness City. I know he went on to be the  High Jump champion in Kansas (sorry Larry I can't remember at what level).

[Cousin Bill Woolen writes to let me know Larry, just 5' 7" in length at the time, impressively high jumped 6' 4". And the Fosberry Flop hadn't even been invented at that time.  I say, at that time, because Larry is my age. I'm guessing he's no more than 5' 6" long by now.] 

I also know that after college Larry and Sheila return to Ness City where Larry teaches at the high school? He also coaches track and football I think?

Anyway, Melany checks for me?

Larry had at LEAST been Melany's DAD's teacher, and probably his football coach.

Melany's twin brother Matt is a pretty big guy,  so I'm just jumping to conclusions that DAD had been out there on the gridiron.

Sometimes in that part of the country wheat harvest interferes with football practice.  

So my sister Brenda's e-mail suggests I might want to do a BLOG entry on SNOWBALLS in Santa Cruz?

Well there wasn't a SNOWBALL's chance in DEATH VALLEY I was going to let all this go by.

And you wonder why I think somehow every thing is somehow connected?  

Nephew Matt, (no known relationship to Melany's twin brother Matt) by the way, is an attorney into genealogy. There might be something here he can play with on one of those cold snowy winter nights in Santa Cruz, instead of fiddling with his briefs.

THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN ONE OF THOSE TOPICS I COULD HAVE SAVED FOR THE ANNIVERSARY OF PaulsModestMusings. BUT WHAT I HAVE IN MIND WILL BURY THIS SNOW JOB.  YOU'D BETTER BE THERE...APRIL 28TH. DON'T FLAKE OUT ON ME.

[Make sure you read the comment below from sighlemacaba.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And since I got to be mentioned in your blog, can I tell you that I have a passel of cousins who were born and bred in Santa Cruz, CA?  And some of them still live there?  Like Wwwow!  Is this all connecting or what?

Anonymous said...

I used to live in Sacremento, and I am sure we went on a vacation or two to Santa Cruz...maybe I know them too!!! geez Paul, that was like playing "seven degrees of Kevin Bacon" but with your relatives n friends!!!!