Friday, February 10, 2006

Ain't Necessarily So

Flirtatious: "Let me fly you to the moon!"

Real Mood: Sanctimonious

Prediction: Some fears will get resolved.

Well, you see I want to point out that sets of averages among all the local weather prognosticatorys indicate that this time? Well, they're pretty much RIGHT ON!  They said we'd get about two inches of snow? The salt on that Margarita up there? Two inches of snow on the rim of my bird bath!

Truth is, that happens more than we give the prognosticatorys  credit for.  Among all the "journalists" that habituate newsrooms? They are among the few who bring some science to the craft. But I think you can see from the picture above, even they can inadvertantly distort reality.

Now there are others among us, with "News" located somewhere on our business cards? We ADVERTANTLY distort that reality. It's our job.  I was reminded of this whilst watching a promotion on 'E'  TV for "Silent Hill!"  Since there is no audio, I only have exploding graphics to illustrate my point.  With the eyes of an actress dilated to take over screen, I see flashing before me: "MYSTERY WITHOUT ANSWERS!" Wow, really? "FEAR WITHOUT END!" No kidding?

I just want to say the creators of these teases? They could make some pretty good livings in newsrooms. Really they could! 

I think this might be a good time to remind myself, and anyone along for the ride,  where I SIT on teases. I sit RIGHT ON THE FENCE! 

I've said in this forum before that I will neither an apologist or critic of media BE!  I recognize that MEdia can not exist in a bird cage with a dark blanket draped over it.  It needs to see light to squawk. It needs a human audience to feed it.

"MEdia want a CRACKER?"

As long as WE (there is no THEY in media) keep feeding the little 'fella' CRACKERS, he's going to keep SQUAWKING. It's WE who tell the MEdia how to behave. WE make up the FOCUS groups. WE add up as numbers in RATINGS.

Even though we know intellectually that at the end of a tease? That the actual story or drama will fall short of it's promise? Even though we know in our hearts it's leading us to "Chicken Little" news? We BITE don't we.

If I were to suggest we all tune into CSPAN to watch the roundtable discussion on the "greenhouse effect" on the endangered wartless frogs of Madagascar? Be honest now! Would you join me? Come on? Honest?

My only POSSIBLE concern is that the end result of all these teases? These teases MIGHT carve out some big voids in our lives. Voids we don't even recognize. The teases could lead  us down a path to DISAPPOINTMENT!

But I also think as long as we know we are being duped? Well, then we can accept the teases as part of the game of life. 

I DO, however, have ENDLESS FEAR for those who might expect a REAL POT OF GOLD at the end of the rainbow. There are some who will believe responding to teases brings REWARDS.

I know that doesn't include any of us who profess to have reached a state of enlightenment. But if we should run into someone wrestling with that misconception? Why we should set them straight. 

" NO, THE WORLD IS NOT GOING TO END! IT IS JUST A TEASE. ha,ha"

"Oh, and by the way? MAKE YOUR PLANS NOW! THERE ARE ONLY 49 DAYS TO GO UNTIL THE ANNIVERSARY OF PaulsModestMusings.  DON'T BE LEFT OUT! IT WILL BE THE BLOG OF ALL BLOG'S. IT WILL SOLVE ALL MYSTERIES! YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER, EVER BE THE SAME! Make your reservations TODAY OR FACE ENDLESS FEAR!"

That's funny? It doesn't taste like a Margarita?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry.  I don't do FEAR  - with or without end.  But count me in anyway.

Anonymous said...

Tisk Tisk...tell us how you really feel.