Wednesday, February 22, 2006

How Come?

Flirtatious: "Can we fly united"

Real Mood: Curious ( that's such an obvious one I was sure it was going to be one of AOL's designated moods? But no! Not even CURIOUS is on their list.)

Prediction: Bode Miller will soon shave.

This is going to be a quickie. I just have to share and ask for your feedback.

So I'm headed down the highway on the way to campus this morning? Using my "driver's training" peripheral vision something seems to be following me in the air.

Sure enough it was a bird getting in it's morning aerobics. It was cranking out about 60 mph with that wing flapping. (might have been more, but I'm not going to confess.)

On a curve I get a little better look at this flying creature.  It looks very strange. It's neck is sticking way out in front of it's body. I'm not quite sure what it is until with my window down I hear, "Honk!"

It's just a goose.  This town is loaded with them.  But I can't think of very many times in my life I've seen a goose flying all by itself?

And so it set me to thinking.  What could have transpired that seperated this poor bird from the flock.  Was it some inappropriate digestive release in a crowd?  Had he or she or it "honked" the wrong thing to the "V" leader?  I tossed the same question to my Intro class today and got some pretty good speculation.

"Maybe he slept in!"

"Maybe his mate got hit by a truck and he's in mourning."

"Could be he's like Jonathon Livingston Seagull, and just wants to get away from the pack and try new things."

Anyway I just thought it would be fun to open the door and see what your speculation might be.  Why was that goose flying solo?

Join the insanity!

YOU DON'T NEED TO BE HIT BY A TRUCK TO KNOW WHAT'S COMING UP 57 DAYS FROM NOW. " CORRECTO MUNDO AMIGO. "  IT'S THE ANNIVERSARY OF PaulsModestMusings. BE THERE! BE THERE EARLY! BE THERE OFTEN. DON'T LET THE OTHER GEESE GET THERE BEFORE YOU. JUST 57 MORE DAYS!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul,

First I want to ask: Why do we automatically assume that the bird has fallen behind the rest of the flock or is lost? Whose to say that He himself isn't the "V" leader and the rest of the flock has fallen behind, or maybe he is just supper fast and the others can't keep up, maybe he's just tired of waiting for them? Can we have some faith in this lone creature please? Anyway, granted that fact that this goose was flying alone is curious enough, I find it even more curious that it was flying so low that you Paul ,driving at what ever speed, would notice it along side your car. Was it on Kamakazi missing and trying to get hit by some larger vehicle or something? Geese don't usuall fly that low.

Anonymous said...

I think the goose was flyn alone for the same reason a dog licks himself.

Anonymous said...

I think he just slept in past his alarm to be honest...or maybe he has been cheating on his mate... I dunno could be anything but those are my guesses....

Carmo