Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Just Park It!

Flirtatious: " Like to ride on my crane up to the penthouse?"

Real Mood: Sore!

Prediction: An Australian entrepeneur will develop an environmentally correct pickup that runs on Vegemite.

I've enjoyed so much of what I've done in life, I often think I've totally defeated the negative emotion, ENVY! But totally is not really an honest operative when it comes to any human sensitivity. There is always a vestige of every evil intention lurking within our souls. Like, ya know, I don't believe Will Rogers when he says, " I never met a man I didn't like?" 

Sorry Will, that's just not possible. Unless you've had a lobotomy administered, there has to be some person, or group of person's that "frost your pumpkin." There has to be some little quirk or condition within some portion of your fellow man you ENVY.

You know it's pretty easy to ENVY a rich man if you're poor.  It's close to normal to ENVY a pretty person if you are not one. I can see ENVYING a fast person if you are slow, a thin person if you are hefty, a smart person if you are intellectually challenged.  I like to think, that while I might have been on the short end of a few of those sticks, I've pretty much overcome any sense of jealousy in said categories. But there IS a classification of humanity I can't help but ENVY.  Which classification?  THE CONSTRUCTION WORKER.

I was reminded of this traveling to work recently.

I'll lay odds you are NOT guessing why I ENVY construction workers.

Sure, they don't have to wear ties. They are expected to get dirt all over them. They don't have to wash up until they get home. They get to release all their negative energy through their hammers, pliers, saws and pipe wrenches. Flatulence is not only tolerated but generally admired. They get to sweat all the poison out of their systems every day.  They tend to make a lot of money per hour. They are expected to show up at sports bars and down a few kegs of beer, and get rowdy.  They sleep like babies. They tend to be in pretty good physical shape. Ergo a lot of the opposite sex openly lust after them.

Certainly there is something in this laundry list that I would covet? 

Not a whit! Been there, done that, sorta. No, what I envy is what I noticed on that drive to work that day.  THEY, construction workers, get to PARK ANYWHERE THEY WANT! That just isn't right.

Put a tool bin in the back of your pickup and you own the World.

While the rest of us follow some semblence of agreed upon parking rules? The construction worker sees some space?  She just occupies it. ( does that cover me?)  And no one questions her. (that should do it)

Fire persons and police persons can pretty much park where they want. But they have to have pretty good reasons.  They need smoking guns, fires, explosions.  Not the construction workers. 

"Just pull up on the sidewalk there while I run in and get myself some beef jerky."

"Hey it's lunchtime.  Just park out by the pool and we'll eat under the veranda."

"Just pull in behind that front loader and we'll play some Texas Hold 'Em under the bucket."

"Just squeeze around those cones and park by that porta potty. I gotta pee!"

It just ain't right!  It just ain't fair!

"HEY SWEETIE, BRING ME  A COLD ONE!"

"What do you think you are? A construction worker? GET IT YOURSELF!"

Boy I ENVY THOSE GUYS (and gals). 

I miss-read my calendar. Sorry! It turns out there are 58 days left before the ANNIVERSARY OF PaulsModestMusings. THAT JUST GIVES YOU MORE TIME TO PLAN YOUR PARTY AND ORDER YOUR SNACKS. IT GIVES ME MORE TIME TO HYPE WHAT WILL BE THE GREATEST BLOG ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION ON THE PLANET.  BE READY.  YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE IT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"So how come they didn't make the AOL Sexxxiest Job list?" she whined tediously.