Saturday, October 15, 2005

Falling for Fall

Flirtatious: "You look good in Gold!" (Yeah, that's Peggy!)

Real Mood? Comforted

Prediction: Some officious neighborhood committee member will sneak around leaving notices that say, "you must rake your leaves immediately or face the consequences."

Our snow melted this past week.  While the snow storm broke off a lot of limbs, and even snapped some trees in half, it miraculously left most of the dying leaves in tact.  We're going to have a fall after all.

I think I've said before that I'm really attached to this season. The changes are so dramatic. I love the full range of colors and textures of the falling leaves. I love the crunch as you walk through piles of them. I love the shadows of the season. I love Halloween and Thanksgiving. I love the temperature. I love the clear night skies and the harvest moon. 

I was looking through some of the poetry and short stories I've written over the years, and noticed that most of them were written or at least started in the Fall. Something always creeps out of my soul in the Fall. And I'm going to share an example with you. It's become sadly clear to me that not everyone shares my sense that Fall is a comforting time.

Thoughts of Leaves

Leaves fall like rain,

dipped in food coloring,

revealing what's above,

masking what's below.

 

Leaf sounds are made

to match all moods,

a frilly skirt,

 a snake, an army?

 

We put it there,

leaves cover it.

What was it?

Just can't remember.

 

Kids and Dogs love

piles of color,

romping securely

in a rustling womb.

 

Some of us fear

what's underneath.

Sharp stick or nail,

in Nature's sheath?

 

We watch intently

the reckless play.

Was it FEAR or ENVY

that found the RAKE.

You know if it was up to me I'd have everybody with a leaf blower aim their leaves at me. Bring it on!

No comments: