Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Weighty Matters

Okay, I'm thinkin' about some stuff. First of all I've just come from a dissection session on the rabbi, convert and convert mother play. How do I play this Rabbi who must decide whether or not to let this conflicted woman switch faiths.  We we doing pretty good...until it dawns on all of us? These guys are all likely psuedo elitists with ties to Bryn Mawr and D.C. politicians. So the cynical thinking? Everything is politically motivated.  We probably won't go that way, but just saying Bryn Mawr gives one pause.

So now on to casting for the HBO Stephenie Plum series. Sighlemaccaba is prettty much dead set against a Westerner with a handlebar mustache for Morrelli. She at least lets the Rabbi, sans stache, audition.  How about James Tupper who plays Jack in men in trees. The roles the look, and the character development sure match up. But to make it on Sighlemaccaba's list he is going to have to shave every day. Peggy wants Daniel Craig (new Bond) for Morelli. But I think its just 'cause she wants to drool. 

I think in today's grab bag Stephenie is going to be a tough one to cast.  Peggy has the obvious choice, Sandra Bullock. But, and I hate this as much as every woman hates it, she may be getting a little too long in the tooth. In her prime I would have picked Holly Hunter.

Sighlemaccaba is thinking Antonio Banderas could be tanned up to fit the role of Ranger.  I don't agree. Once again I think we need to step back for a role model. That curly headed guy from early Miami Vice shows (can't think of his name) would have been good. Jimmy Smits might even be able to pull it off today. I certainly think Jamie Foxx looks the part, but would have to do some character study to get there. It's too bad Denzel Washington is such a GOOD guy. Can you believe how tender he was with Julia Roberts in The Pelican Brief?

Cousin EW, hiding behind his SO, has some terrific plot considerations, but so far a little shy on his casting thoughts.

Well let's not get Plum crazy here. Just join in when the spirit hits you.

I have something else I want to talk about it. I got back on my bicycle this past weekend.  I got on the bike path down by the creek.  The path is, oh, I'd say three and half feet wide?  There are signs that indicate it is not designed for motor vehicles.  In fact, should a motorist appear on the path?  I wouldn't be surprised if a vigilante group made up of cyclists, joggers, dog walkers, and baby buggy pushers would hang the miscreant from the nearest cottonwood. 

So here's this deal. About a mile into my ride I come across a bridge just slightly wider than the path itself. It, too, is taboo to motorized vehicles. So why is there this sign coming and going on that bridge? A sign that says, and I quote: "WEIGHT LIMIT 1 and 1/2 TONS."

Who? Me? I CAN NOT HELP IT!  No matter how many times I see it, no matter how many times I rationalize it, no matter how many times I talk to it, not matter how many times it ignores me, I ask the same question. WHO? ME? I find it a pretty good motivation for keeping my weight down. Who weighs 1 and 1/2 tons, anyway?

I had a new epiphany out riding. You may have heard me grouse once in a while about the attitude of the "ON YOUR LEFT" ers. I've always put them in the same class with the persons riding in the opposite direction that are too buy to acknowledge your presence.  Well, I may have misjudged the "OPPOSITE DIRECTIONERS." 

I don't know how universal this is? But I noticed on this last ride that when I shake my head in recognition of an oncoming rider? While he or she doesn't return the head nod? He or she lifts the fingers of his or her left hand off the handlebar ever so slightly.  It's a little like the hand movement of a bidder at a cattle auction.  

I don't really know what this means for sure.  But I'm going to go with the thought, "cyclists are a mite friendlier lot than I'd first imagined."

Okay that was going to be it until Peggy just yelled at me from the other room, "How about Emmet Smith for Ranger. He'd be perfect."

Come on. Can you picture Ranger ballroom dancing?  I don't think so.

Don't get too comfortable with that picture up there. One of these days I'm going to snap one off of that weight limit sign.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...


I too had thought of S. Bullock likewise H Hunter, ine of my fororites.  Banderas?  get rid of him.  J. Smits? a strong possibility.  
You're thinking of the poorlyy shaven turkey in Maimi Vicec?  Or the African American.?  No way Ray!!!!!  to either.

AAnd just to set the rcored straight.  I never ever said anything against Westerners.  Handebar moustacios?  Si, Senor.  Westerners are ok in their place, wherever that is.   Just a little eastern joke.  Please don't take offense.  I know how touchy you Westerners are.

And whatever you do, do not try to lose another thousand lbs,  It's so hard to put it back on.                                    











Anonymous said...

stephanie---rene zelwegger , reese witherspoon or drew barrymore
lula----------queen latifa
vinnie-------danny devito or joe pesci
joe----------keanu reeves or hugh jackman
ranger------naveen andrews , gabriel garcia-bernal or antonio banderas
g'ma mazur-shirley mcclaine or kathy bates
papa plum-jack nicholson or wm h macy
mama plum-sally fields or frances mcdormand
valerie------cameron diaz
kloughn----john c reilly
rex----------himself

director----rob reiner
music------danny elfman

respectfully submitted,

cuz e.