Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hey You!

So whatcha all been doin'? I just got my knuckles rapped by Sighlemaccaba for being a slacker.  Guilty as charged.  But only on this front.  I could always pull out my file of student attendance excuses and WOW you with something.  But truth is?  I just got distracted. By what you say?

Well I've been teaching myself to play the piano for one. I can fake a few things like "Lavender's Blue," and "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" with both hands and a little pedal work.  But Victor Borge can rest comfortably in his grave. (He has moved on hasn't he?) I'll not be playing with my toes anytime soon.

I've also finally added swimming to my conditioning regimen. The reason that's kind of a big deal....this California boy....had a near drowning experience honeymooning in Hawaii a decade and a half ago. It rather set me back this many years.  I found a pool where the deep end is shorter than me whilst I try to build my confidence back up.  

I've also been on a reading for pleasure kick lately. I got hooked on Janet Evanovich novels despite being a West Coast boy. I've now read all eleven of her Stephanie Plum adventures.  At the same time I finished a Tom Robbins novel, "Jitterbug Perfume,"  the Ings loaned me. I've re-read the Prophet, Jonathon Livingston Seagull, The Milagro Bean Fields War (for the tenth time), and a couple mystery and detective novels whose authors have slipped my mind. (One of stories takes place near San Luis Obispo where my family has deep ties) And I keep dabbling in meditation writings determined to derive benefits from the methods, as opposed to the dogmas.

I almost forgot.  On a whim I auditioned for a role in any of several student directed one act plays. Well I got a part. What part? Well I'm going to be playing a Rabbi. This is going to require a TON of research.  In the words of Henry Gibson, "velly inteeressting!"

While not excusing my laxity on THIS (blog) front, I suspect that reveals enough about where my head has been to at least mix sympathy with your angst at my poor attendance.

And oh, I've been grading midterms. That ought to elicit a few "poor Pauls."  Not that I'm courting them, mind you.

Oh, and we drove up to Wyoming near Yellowstone and took pictures of Deer, Antelope, Buffalo, Moose, and Wild Turkeys. (Iwon't tell you how many. Unless you've been up there this time of year, you wouldn't buy it.)

So that's my story. What's yours?    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hang my head in utter shame.  It never occurred to me that you might be doing anything worthwhile.  What a terrible terrible thing to say, to assume.  I thought it was a malingeration, a hangover from the snow and I also thought,  'These Denver Babies need to get over themselves, find closure, and get on with their lives.  It's the American way."
But there you were - piano, books, wild beasts in the wild, homework.  Golly, Mr. Rhino.  You put us all to shame.  Or me anyway.  
PS.  I like Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum.  She has another series as well, set in Fla.  I think it's not as popular.  And if you like mysteries you may like good espionage inw which case, you may like Daniel Silva.  So good!!!