Saturday, March 24, 2007

Humble Pie

Okay, I"m off to the Saturday Shabbat service. And humility does in fact rain down upon me.  I no longer believe that all I need to do to become a Rabbi is audition. This guy is good. But let's back up a little before I get into comparisons.

Here are some general impressions I'd like to share with ye of other faiths.  First? Well you Greeks and Russians got nothing on the Jews when it comes to length of service. Luckily I'd had a good night's sleep and am eager to learn.

I know it's a part of the ritual of every faith? But I have a hard time concentrating on the ritual reading of anything, rather in Hebrew, Latin, Mandarin or Urdu. You know like the Bible, the Koran, Confucius, THE TORAH? And I've always felt like it's an assumption that I didn't do my homework.

I'm not much into any form of sartorial adornment. So I'm not too keen on the hamikas.  Some men really don't look good in them at all. I am glad to see in this congregation they are optional.

Beyond those few seemingly negative impressions?  I'm having a pretty good time. I feel a real honest sense of fellowship in the congregation. The role of the individual family group is very touching. And I really like the tender way children are gently being included in FUN parts of the service.

Now comes my glee. I love the music. Peggy hates it when I fake lyrics as I'm singing along with the radio in the car?  It's a darn good thing she isn't here listening to me fake Hebrew. I apologize to anyone sitting close by.

I adore the dancing. Even just watching I feel a real catharsis taking place.   I'm tempted, but not quite ready to join in. I'm hoping what I see now is just anecdotal. NO MEN are out there kicking their feet high in the air. That's just wrong.

But I've been burying the lead here. Let's get to the gist of the matter here. This Rabbi? I've come here to see what it takes to become a Rabbi.Whoa!

First Off! His is the voice of what ever diety you worship. His utterances are deep, rich, articulate, intelligent, inspiring, persuasive. I mean this guy has me kind of interested? Kind of interested in reading Leviticus?  It'll still be down my priority list.

But here's the deal Siglemaccaba, Cousin Bev, Deb Stanley, Peggy, Rhonda and other fans of Stephenie Plum? ( I hope I'm not the only man...oh, that's right Deb says John Velte is on board.) This guy, the Rabbi? He can play Morelli.  I kid you not. He has that chiseled super masculine look, and that unstated quiet presence. I don't think you'd want to mess with him on the street.

And he has something I don't think Morelli has even tried yet.  He has this colossal handlebar mustache.  It's kind of like Morelli goes West.

And he is so good with language, I'll bet he could nail down an Italian from Trenton accent in no time.

He does have some added talent I hope Morelli is working on. He sings (in addition to being a cantor) and plays an electric string instrument he created himself using a two by four. And I mean he is GOOD!

Well, anyway I'm going to do my best to honestly play the role of a Rabbi? But while I'm still out here trying to master chopsticks on the piano?   I'll not minimize what it really takes to Rabbinicate. (don't look it up.) 

I wonder if he needs an agent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So maybe your Rabbi can play Morelli.  We will have to hold an audtion.  I may even come over for that.  BUT sans moustache!  (Not me. Him.) The handlebar moustache Must go - and like SOON.  Those are my feelings about that and facial hair in general, no offense intended in any direction.  I know I know, the whole committee will have to vote on that.  Oy vey, such a tsimmis!

All kidding aside, I am really happy for you that you are getting so much from this new adventurous undertaking.  It sounds wonderful.

PS. I am rethinking Banderas as a very possible Ranger with enough makeup to hide the sweetness,  But who are you thinking of for Ms, Plum herself?  I have a few ideas but I'm not sharing yet.