Friday, March 23, 2007

The Plays The Thing

Wow! This may be the shortest route to clerical credibility known to man.  Rabbi Reinertson?

For reasons I'll keep to myself, since early adulthood I've resisted any deep connection with any religious dogma. Still I've been actively curious.

Let's see?  I've debated the abortion issue (mostly just listened) with an archbishop. I've been to quite a few Catholic weddings and funerals.  I've sung in Methodist and Deciples of Christ Choirs. I've read The Book of Mormon. I've been to Moslem noon prayers at a mosque. I've talked (mostly listened) to a local Imam on issues surrounding the First Gulf War. I once got married in a Lutheran church.  I've stood through two Greek Orthodox weddings, I've been to three Jewish funerals, one Jewish wedding and a Seder. I actively employ the meditation techniques of most religions. And yet with respect, I choose not to complicate those techniques with teachers and dogma.

Over the years I've had occasion to objectively do stories involving all the major religions and you can throw in a few minor ones. So how is it after all these decades of polite skepticism am I a Rabbi?

Turns out all you have to do is audition. So today is the first reading of the small cast in this one act play titled "GER." Expanding your vocabulary or getting ready for the national spellling bee?  GER is a Jewish convert. Seems it's my Rabbinical duty to make sure a young potential convert knows what she's getting herself into. 

I don't have a ton of lines, but let me tell you I could FEEL THE POWER. Just let me conceitedly say I've always been a great cold reader.  Today was no exception. And so when we completed our first read through?

"You are the Rabbi!" "You sound just like the Rabbi!" "That is the voice of the Rabbi."

So that's it? That's all there is to it? It confirms all my suspicions. You just need to play the part.

I've had people tell me "you look like a cop," "You play basketball like a rhino," etal ad infinitum.  But never have I heard "YOU ARE THE RABBI!"

Well that's today.  Tommorrow I'm joining the play's director at a Saturday service.  Perhaps I'll pick up a little humility. The GOYIM RABBI! Wow!

Oh, for you who've frequented this site over the past year?  The Bullydozers?  They're......BAAACK!.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lets see...  maybe stephanie could have some cake with a rabbi who turns out to be a catholic priest pervert  who molested morelli as an altar boy and now has a crush on ranger but lula catches him eating bbq'd pork at a local joint and blows his cover causing him to kidnap her so that stephanie, joe and ranger join forces to find her while all the time she is locked in a coffin at stiva's where gramdma finds her when she opens the lid at what is supposed to be a closed viewing causing the rabbi/priest/pervert/kidnapper to set fire to the funeral parlor, and blow up stephanies car in an effort to escape, ony to be run down by a speeding '54 buick driven by kloughn who is fleeing valerie because she has just announced that she, like stephanie is going to work for  cousin vinnie...

that oughtta work,  eh cuz ?

e

Anonymous said...

Uh, huh!