Friday, September 29, 2006

Y'all Make Me Laugh

Using myself as the MEAN, the rest of you are pretty funny (odd). Here I am trying to be very careful with my fascination of the building of a major thoroughfare in my backyard?  I am journalistically savvy enough to know I must be careful not to get too technical. I know that unless you're my neighbor? You are not going to have the same level of attachment to the issues..

I'm also being pretty careful not to be provincial. I'm making a concerted effort to avoid the use of specific locations and names. That's so that if this is taking place in Houston (not), and you're reading about it in Portland (not)? You can still relate.

These are things I've been taught and practiced over a career.  But you know what? Y'all are making me tingle with wrongness. 

One of my students corners me on campus and says, "hey Paul, you know that construction in your backyard?"

"Uh, Huh!"

"Well my boyfriend was driving one of those scrapers, the ones you keep calling BullyDozers. He says a lot of people living there are mad because they get started so early in the morning.  He quit and has moved on."

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

So that kills my planned tutorial on the various types of heavy equipment needed to flatten a mountain. I suppose you've all driven a SCRAPER, A BULLY DOZER, A BACKHOE, A TRACKHOE, A WATER TRUCK, ETAL, NAUSEUM.  

I'm thinking I'm pushing it when I tell you all about how I'm miffed at this county official that drives by and gives me a dirty look? The rest of you have your own dirty looks to deal with. Why care about mine?  And then my cousin Errol writes from San Diego and says , " I hope you deliver a copy of your Blog to that @$%#& with the county."

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

Well I'm still being careful not to bring it too close to home. "Be universal, be generic," I say. And I'm slipping off into some other inanne subject matter? And I hear from my cousin Bill who lives in the San Francisco area.  ( I say San Francisco area because if I tell you exactly where he lives? You won't have heard of it.  That will be too provincial. You won't relate.) Well maybe you'd like to eavesdrop on my conversation with cousin Bill?

Remember I've switched subjects now.

"That's okay Paul.  But I'm more interested in the road behind your house.  How far is it from your bedroom?"

"15 feet from the guestbedroom, 30 feet from the master."

"Just don't have any guests.  Say is that the extension of Chambers Road project?"

"Uh, huh."

"Look on the bright side. It won't have as much traffic as I-25 which it will parallel."

"Uh, huh."

Before I hear this from somebody else? When it's done it will be a virtual speedway connecting Denver Bronco headquarters in Dove Valley with the new Reuter Hess reservoir under construction south of here.

If Bill Romanowski were still with the Broncos?  They'd shut the road down twice a week so he could get his bike training in. Then they'd shut the reservoir down so he could get his swim in, and other stuff ad nauseum.

All week long I have students coming up to me saying, "what's up with the construction project."  "Seen any BullyDozers lately." "With all that dust, does it affect your allergies," "When are they going to finish that road, Paul."

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

What is wrong with your people?  Get a life!  I may be talking to BullyDozers in my backyard. But you are actually willingly reading about it WITH SOME INTEREST.  You guys are just weird. But, as we say a lot here along Chambers road between Bronco Headquarters and the Reuter-Hell Reservoir?

"I LOVE YA ANYWAY."

OR SOMETHING KIND OF LIKE THAT.

 

No comments: