Thursday, September 14, 2006

BullyDozer P.R.

I've noticed this before doing stories on development projects.

Do you ever wonder why construction project managers get hired? Sure they have fancier hard hats, and praticed scowls.  But I mean what's their purpose? They typically know a lot less about what's going on than those they manage.

They are typically up on a hill with a sandwich and binoculars. Binoculars to keep an eye on the work force?

This is just a guess. But my experience is those binoculars come in very handy if media is approaching....or OSHA has been sighted. Now if that's the case, it's been my experience the site manager's scowl miraculously turns into an unctious grin.

Okay, here's the scenario.  Admittedly I haven't been working it full time.  But it hasn't been easy getting information on the final configuration of this road they are building behind us?  Recently a couple of local newspapers shared what they know. And we are still just hearing vague descriptions of the approved development to follow.  What's a fella to do?

Well a fella and his gal just need a little ironical luck.

So it's about sunset? They've been laying cement for a drainage culvert all day long.  All of a sudden there is a bullydozer, and a track hoe parked on opposite sides of  cement truck. It's right behind our neighbor's back fence.  They've got all their lights on and there is an air of stress. 

Peggy and I walk out to our observation post to see what the 'heck' is goin' on.  Well, this guy with a fancy hard hat, and a smile as big as a "quarter moon," comes walkin' towards us.

THIS ISN'T GOING TO BE VERBATIM, YET PARAPHRASED,  IN CONTEXT, AND WEARING A MINIMUM OF HYPERBOLE.

"HI! How's it goin' folks."

"Pretty good.  But it looks like you got a problem?"

"Yeah, well this cement truck got into kind of a tight spot?"

"You mean it's about to tip over?"

"Uh, huh.  That's a distinct possibility."

"Well listen, while I've got you here?  Some questions?"

"Sure, why not?"

"Is that as high as the protective berm is going to be?"

"No it'll be two to seven feet higher."

"That's still not going to shelter us from all the traffic."

"Oh, well we're not done taking the road down lower.  At the most all you'll ever see will be the very top of a high profile vehicle."

"These little side roads you're building? What are they for?"

"They are just for the construction traffic."

"You mean like for tilting cement mixers?"

"Well, yeah.  They'll be going away when the work is done. HEY GUYS DON'T LET THAT DOZER CLIP THAT PINE TREE."

(The neighbors, not ours thank goodness.)

"So it looks like you're doing six lanes up there?"

"No. For now? Just three!"

"Building any sidewalks and bike paths?"

"No. The county doesn't do that sort of thing."

"So you work for the county."

"Well no."

"Oh, then you must work for the contractor?"

"Well, not really.  I'm on a private contract."

The obvious question would be "TO WHOM!" 

But I could see I was going to get a polished tap dance.  And right now my mission was to get project educated.  So I dropped that line of questioning.

"So I'm reading in the newspaper this is going to take about 8 months to do?"

"Uh, huh.  That's what the contract says.  But these guys are kind of aggressive."

"And that means?"

"Well their mission is to move 100 million tons of dirt.  They've been at this a little over a month?"

"Tell me about it?"

"They've already moved 50 million tons. Just between you and me? They are going to have this done and paved in another month and a half."

"You're S-----' me!"

"Nope that's the truth.  You do ask a lot of questions."

"Well I write a little BLOG, and I'm kind of documenting what you guys are doing out here."

Now I've known project managers to go into near cardiac arrest with that revelation.  But this guy is good.  When I build my highway I want him on my side.

"Really?  So how do you think we're doin'?"

"Well other than a dangling cement truck, pretty good.  I think you knocked down our wrens nest."

"Sorry about that."

"And you know for a while there you were kickin' up a solid amount of dust."

"You know I think we were?  But I think we're doing better now, don't you?"

"Yeah, I guess." 

[NOTICED THIS EVENING?  THEY'VE STRUNG A TEMPORARY SPRINKLER SYSTEM ALL ALONG THE TOP OF THE HILL.  IT WAS NOT THERE BEFORE OUR LITTLE CHAT.  THIS GUY REALLY IS GOOD.]

"You know most of us along here are more concerned about the developer working the other sideof the road.  They are talking about some really high density."

"Oh, is that right?"

"You're not supposed to talk about that, are you?"

"Nope!"

"Do they finally have rights to all the land they need? Are all their plans approved?"

"I'm not sure I know those answers."

"Are we talking ground breaking up there right after these guys are done?"

"Hmmm! How can I say this?"

"Let me help. Just nod your head.  You know up and down for "uh huh, and back and forth for "nuh uh?"

"Five months?"  [back and forth]

"Ten months?"   [back and forth]

"Fifteen months?"  What's this?  No back and forth, no up and down!  What do I get?  I get a shoulder shrug.  [THIS GUY IS INCREDIBLE.]

So it's going to be at least another year before more bullydozers move in.  I really don't know what to think of that.

Now you are going to have to take my word this entry is mostly true.  I preach to all my students.  Attribute, attribute, attribute.  Who is talking?  Who is informing?  Who is snitching?

So....keeping true to my sermon?  My hand goes out?

"Listen, my name is Paul Reinertson."

You know the routine.  He shakes my hand and volunteers the two names he goes by.  Man this guy is good.

"Good to meet you Paul. Gotta run.  WHOA! Look out for that cement truck!"

He gets on the opposite side of that cement truck?  He's gone.  I mean he is "BEAM ME UP SCOTTY" gone.

This guy is beyond good. I'm even wondering if I dreamed it all? But today there is this huge mass of dry, but not functionally formed cement?  Right behind our back fence?

OBJECT LESSON I HOPE?  Don't believe everything you read in the paper. 

No comments: