Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Wake Up Call

One of the benefits of doing something without a contract or pay? You don't have to feel terribly guilty if you are struck "DUMB" once in a while. (What? You thought I was getting a check for doing this?)

By the same token, it's good to be inspired back into action by someone like the guy in the picture above.  He is my NEW HERO.  Why? Well because he is not just out crankin' his wheel chair on some asphalt. He is hand motoring his little vehicle up the highest paved highway in North America.  At this "shutter second" he is at Twelve Thousand Ninety Feet in elevation.

Odd to me that when I first frame him up? Peggy is saying to me?

"Paul, don't shoot him.  You are going to embarrass him."

Peggy just hasn't done one of these so-called "handicapped" athlete stories. (In case you arn't aware of this? They call those of us with four working appendages "NORMIES.")  I still recall my ineptitude trying to keep up with a blind skier on a BLACK DIAMOND RUN at Winter Park.  I can still hear THAT ATHLETE'S gleeful laugh at leaving me behind in a cloud of snow.

Just look at the face of this guy.  (Note that his shadow is ahead of his two wheeled pal's shadow?) What you don't see because I was too slow to react? When he sees my lens? He throws his arms in the air in a sign of early victory.  Then to top that off? He leans forward and yanks that front of his chair back into this grand and ARTISTIC WHEELY.

There is no doubt in my mind he makes it the next two thousand elevation feet to the top. I'd follow him but the rest of THE ROAD TO THE TOP is now CLOSED FOR THE WINTER TO LAZY PEOPLE who need internal combustion engines to reach their peaks.

The one thing I regret right now?  I don't have his name.  Despite being in pretty good shape right now? I am too light headed to think to scream out, "HEY, WHAT'S YOUR NAME?" Fine journalist I've become.

Well, I need a replacement hero right now. The Broadcast Media loses one this week.  Many of you will not have known Dave Green.

I need to be very clear at this point. There are at least two Dave Greens in broadcast media I've always had great respect for.  They both consciously choose to forgo glory to make the work of other's shine.  The one I'm talking about now is Dave Green, Executive Producer of HDnet. He SADLY dies ofa heart attack at a much too young age.  I use the word SADLY, because had I taken my copy to Dave reading "he TRAGICALLY dies of a heart attack?"  Dave would say in a firm but gentle tone?

"Paul, the death of "Ghandi" is a tragedy. John Kennedy's death might fit the definition. But Robert Kennedy? Don't you think SAD is sufficient in DAVE GREEN'S case."

[I'd be a reluctant convert on that one. I'm still not sure where the line should be drawn? But I've heard way too many reporters and anchors suffer tragic despair over the passing of an un-named pet cat.]

To fill in the blanks for some of you? This Dave Green spends the first half of his adult life as a field producer and bureau chief for ABC. He is around in an era when stories are chased at any cost.  He tells my students of having one large carry-on every where he flys. In it? Cash! Tons of it! Money needed to make sure everything get's taken care of? 

And, sans cash, that's the skill and reputation  this Dave Green leaves behind. He always gets the "ball rolling" ( sorry about the cliche Dave) and keeps it "bouncing" until the "game is over." (Sorry about the corny metaphor Dave.)

At his memorial service? They are saying some wonderful things about Dave? I agree with them all and can't even begin to improve on them.  But I have a lasting memory I must throw into the mix.

While, as noted at his service, Dave has candy for everyone who enters his office? Yet his counsel is seldom sugar coated. But after having my copy spanked by Dave a few times?  I notice something I hope I'll always take with me.  He never tries to steal my story or my soul.  And when I walk out the door with doctored script in hand? EVERYBODY'S EGO IS INTACT. And we and the story are all better for the experience.

"DAVE! I don't know if the written word gets into the ETHER like broadcast signals?  I hope so 'cause I never got to tell you how impressed I was with that artful talent you pass on. So Dave, did I tell you about the shot I get of this guy churning his wheelchair up Mount Evans??"

"Name?"

"Dang. I didn't get it!"

"Call the Para Olympics.  They'll know his name!"

"Dang! Why didn't I think of that?"   

[Actually? His advice? Just shorthand! "Para Olympics." Then I could take my candy bar and pretend I thought of it. Nite Dave!]

No comments: