Sunday, June 26, 2005

Tangled Web We Weave

Flirtatious: Let's break the word down a bit. FLIR, the name brand and optical system that relates to both infrared and non-vibration video Systems. TAT, a weaving system that in essence results in lace doilies. IOUS, statements of debts. In a sentence, " I ous an explantation. When I'm not trying to tat me a basket, I like to be up in a helicopter lookin' at the world through a FLIR lens." Flirtatious. Warning: Thinking like this may be hazardous to your acceptance in polite society.

Real Mood? Delighted, driven, dogged, determined.

Well my tennis was a little better today, but the score was worse. Next time is forever. I wonder if I could convince anybody that I was just being polite to the ladies. Not at this time in history, I'm thinking.

Let's see, before tennis we went to breakfast where we introduced John and Kathy to our good friend Stephenie Davis. Stephenie is the wait person who asks if we want the "usual."  Stephenie, who just graduated, has just returned from down under and so she, Kathy and John had a pretty good "chat" about "Aussie"and "Kiwi" athletic teams.

Then we did tennis, Then we went to Wildlife Experience, Then we watched Iwerks (Imax) movie, Then we went for short walk (stopping to take pics in front of animal sculptures) Then we went shopping at Health Food Store, Then Kathy cooks up delicious  Mexican "Tea," Then to my delight we cut up several spider plants so I'll have material for weaving basket, Then we have dessert,  Then we (meaning me with Kathy's appropriate interference) wove our first basket.  (See Photo) (It's not a pretty thing but it may get framed.  We'll see how it does as it cures).  Oh, "what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."

In this lengthly prelude there was a high point to the day.  I wonder if within my deceptive prose you picked it up? Dessert? No! Weaving basket? No!  I'll spare you and end the suspense. It was the destruction of two of about 50 spider plants hanging out around the house. I hate spider plants. They grow like weeds at the equator. They send out their hairy little tentacles to invade every space in your home.  They are in the way when you close a cupboard door, they are in the way when you reach for your socks, they tickle your neck while you sit in the tub, they plop down in front of your TV screen with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, theycamouflage the book you've been looking for, for a month, they inspire conflict between you and your mate when you treat them roughly. So imagine my delight when Kathy suggested spider plants might work as a source of fuel for my weaving folly. Peggy broke under the pressure, and I didn't even have to get involved, although I was quick to volunteer both the scissors and my labor to dismantle two spider plants.

You need to know that by reputation and scientific observation I'm not that good with small motor skills.  But I got to tell you it's funny what you can do when you are REALLY motivated. I could become World Renown as weaver of Spider Plant baskets. At their rate of growth, and Peggy allowing them to procreate right here in the house, I'm expecting I'll be busy with the local supply for about six months.  Then, and I expect I'm talking mostly to the testosterone crowd here, I'll need more material. Like my fine motor skills, my entrepeneurial skills have seldom won praise. But I am smart enough under these cirumstances to know you're going to have to pay ME to take those spider plants off your hands.  Your other option may be the weaving lessons I'll be offering at some exorbitant professional fee.

It sure helps to have a friend like Kathy Ing.

No comments: