Saturday, July 7, 2007

Robin's Hood

CAPTION: "I'll just fly down behind this Air Conditioner and hide in the gravel.  Look, Mom, No Wings!"

 

Well my little Robin friend sat on the runway for five days.  I guess he just wasn't ready to leave the nest yet. But early this morning it happened. I DID in fact see his first flight.  It wasn't terribly impressive.

Now the little bespeckled guy is just hanging around the local bushes, while his folks feed him berries and bugs. This has been an amazing experience. I may have had this kind of observation time in the past, but I'm sure I've never taken advantage of it before.

I'll admit it. I've been totally compulsive about it. But I don't regret a frame I shot, or dive bomb I've dodged.  And even more important, I guess.  I got all this done without ever harming the little critter.

I think that's it. Back to whatever we call normal. But I'll be keeping my eyes out for bird's nests.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to see that first important flight. Nothing as wonderful as bird watching. I spent quite an amount of time July 4th trying to capture a picture of a hummingbird on the rim of the feeder in front of the flag. Don't know how it will trun out as I don't have a digatal camera. Paula

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul - I love Robins !! I'm so glad this guy/gal hid for a few days. I had a litter of 4 once in Littleton. I didn't know then that robins were landlubbers for a few days when they leave the nest. I ran around to all the neighbors and asked them to keep in the cats ... to no avail . None of them made it. Boohoooooo.... I'm glad that yours did . AND...mama came back and used the same nest a second time. I thought that was pretty amazing........ tweet tweet ...
Cheri