Thursday, June 21, 2007

Deck Sweat Equity

CAPTION: "Hey you big show off. My deck used to have a fountain, too! Maybe not as fancy as yours....but..."

 

     When I teased this chapter I spelled the name of this giant drilling tool A U G U R. Well that's just wrong, but I've found a way to recover from spelling shame. You see, for those of you of my educational limitations, AUGUR is a Roman Citizen who holds the responsibility of interpretng "the gods" opinions of any pending action.

 

       In restrospect I'm thinking "the gods" were saying.

 

                 DON'T DO IT!

 

     Oh, well, here we go with:

 

 

          ALL HANDS ON DECK

                    Part Eight

 

        The boys return with what I will describe as a humungous drill (it would show up in a going to the dentist nightmare) with a gas motor attached to the top. It's official name is AUGER.  While only by inches, this THING is taller and bigger around than either Jeff or Mike. If the two of them are on one side of a rudimentary scale, and the auger is on the other? The two of them would be way up, and the auger way down.

 

     They have successfully transported this BIG tool from the car to the site. Now they appear to be in need of some down time.

         This is a work day for me and while I’m a little uneasy about them operating this THING by themselves? I see the determination. I will at least stick around to watch them burrow down into the first post hole. 

         With me watching from a distance, with sweat on their brows, they get the auger vertical over the hole. I think I see some trepidation in their eyes, but determination is winning out. I’m standing back far enough to show confidence, but I hope I’m close enough to respond in an emergency.

         They pour in the gasoline. Now it is even heavier. Still they yank the starter cord, and the monster comes alive with a vengeance.

         As the auger makes its way down into the earth the boys are hanging on with desperation. Ever watch them mix paint at Home Depot? They would be the cans. I want to help, but their eyes are waving me off.

         Soon, as the drill turns? So, too, do they. At this juncture the “blame game” comes on the field.

         “Why aren’t you holding it tighter?”

         “Hey you’re the one that’s losing his grip.”

         Thinking they are well into the ground on hole one, they shut the behemoth down. The point of the auger is now lying horizontal. Now all of each of them is covered in sweat and little dirt balls. Mike says to Jeff?

         “How deep are we?”

         “I’d say about a foot.”

         “Come on. It has to be deeper than that?”

         “Look for your self hot shot!”

         “Okay, okay.”

         There is a brief rest which I’m pretty sure would be extended should I not be over lording.

         “Come on, two more feet to go.”

         I hang in there for the first hole completion and then politely excuse myself to go make some money.

         “You guys be careful with that thing, and take lots of breaks.”

         I doubt the caution offering is really necessary. I’m pretty sure the pace is going to slow just as soon as I’m out of sight.

 

         The slower pace is confirmed when I arrive home from the pencil and paper wars eight hours later. They are just about to start on hole nine. I’m pretty sure they’ve saved nine until I get here so I might admire their polished technique.

They have in fact improved big time. They are drilling shorter depths at a time, and have developed a technique of moving the excess dirt away from the hole with their feet. Every thing seems to be working according to plan. Plan, nor any of us unfortunately, are prepared for THIS.

         About half way down on hole number 6?  We strike water! A ten foot high water spout drenches the work force and me.

         I believe it is time for action. SUPER STEP DAD rips off his shirt and tie and runs towards “OLD FAITHFUL.”  To do what?  I don’t think you can even imagine what? I mean go ahead and imagine if you like, but show up tomorrow to see how close you get.

No comments: