Sunday, December 17, 2006

What Goes Round

"Speak the speech I pray you, as I pronounced it to you, trippingly on the tongue."

That's the opening line of Hamlet's advice to the players (actors). The prince of Denmark wants this traveling acting troupe to convincingly portray the suspected poisoning of his father. 

Most of the world believes they are words written by William Shakespeare or one of his posers. But there are a number of us who believe this advice is penned by the man you see above.

His name is Ray Phillips, speech and drama teacher at Bell High School, and professor at East Los Angeles College.

We believe he might be the author because he forces us all to memorize that advice and carry it with us for eternity.

Ray just turns 80 and a bunch of we former students gather to sing his praises.  I learn a lot from Ray that I try to employ throughout my career, and now try to pass on to my students. He is truly a mentor to many.

But to keep this from getting sticky with nostalgia I'm going to stick to pretty much what I relate in my tribute to him around the banquet table.

I tell Ray I sure wish I'd followed that Hamlet advice a little closer.  I clearly remember my first Seward County Community College basketball play by play effort.  I set out to "speak my speech trippingly on the tongue?" But it comes out like this:

"Coleman Crawford comes down with the rebound, he moves to the right side of the court, and he SH_TS from 15 feet out." 

Now in context you know there should be two 'O's where the underline is?  For the record I substitute an 'I' as in spit. 

The only reason I know I make that substitution?  Both visiting play by play announcers have gone silent and are staring directly at me.  There is a brief pause, at which time I add, "AND IT'S GOOD!"  

Hamlet's advice is a fairly lengthy soliloquy. As it continues it includes, " nor do not saw the air too much with your hands, thus!" 

Oddly that is particularly important advice for those working in television. [It will be a while before Willy gets to deal with the subtleties of TV.]  The confines of a TV frame should prevent one from flailing their arms all over the place as they report or perform.

And there is another danger in overdoing your gestures that I had to learn the hard way.

I have great respect for Vanna White. 

"What is he talking about", you say?

Well I have an occasion to be following Vanna around for several days as she is doing some promotional shOOts? [Learned my lesson on that one.] Well at one point I am set up to interview her live from a golf course.

For the uninitiated? When you are doing a live interview? As the reporter on the scene you set up the interview looking right into the camera. Your guest is positioned a few feet behind you on your right or left.

As you are getting ready to bring on your guest? You do a slow turn in the guest's direction so that only your shoulder or profile is visible. That way you are putting all the attention on the guest.

Well, all of this is going according to plan but we are rushed, and I must be excited about bringing Vanna to the masses?

That slow subtle turn? Well, first of all it's not a bit subtle. And with a hand held microphone, I do this broad sweeping turn that results in my elbow slamming into her upper errogenous zone with great force.

Why do I admire her? There is subdued pain being expressed. But this suffering woman maintains an almost believable smile and we get through the live shot with most viewers none the wise.  [It's a really good thing you can't see my face.]  [Gossip from Sony Pictures is there is significant swelling and bruising.]

My students are forced to memorize the first lyrical stanza of "I am the very model of a modern major general" from the "Pirates of Penzance." I insist they take it with them because it's a great articulation exercise.

But now that I've been back in Ray's presence? And I remember Vanna's pain and suffering? I may switch. Oddly, Ray's (Shakespeare's?) advice seems a little more practical.

 

POSTSCRIPTS: Ray Phillips introduced me to an environment that allows creativity and self confidence to thrive. I will always be greatful.

I am so excited to have heard from my old friend sighlemaccaba. What incredible biting wit she possesses. If you haven't read her response to my previous entry on elevators? Take the time now. She is a riot! I missed you Shiela. 

No comments: