Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Follow the Bouncing Ball

Any effort to disquise my age went out the window with the selection of that title. If you're scratching your head, just ask any AARP card carrying member in your neighborhood.  [Make that the AARP card plus 10 years.]

"Why would I follow the bouncing ball?"

So in my on-going effort to find a variety of activities to keep me in shape? What can I do, all by myself if need be,  that will enhance muscle building, flexibility and aerobic capacity?

Well I'm down in the basement looking for a box or something and trip over what looks to be a dried up pumpkin.  On closer examination I discover I am in the presence of a deflated basketball. Touching it with my fingers sets off an explosion of long term memory spikes. It feels like shock treatment [I think].

Most of my BBall life consists of street pickup games. Fortunate for me betting on the outcome isn't a big deal in my "time." Just so you know? I am the poster child for "White Men Can't Jump." Only, unlike Woody Harrelson? I'm not faking it.

But I'm not a bad shot, and in a half court game, I can move around quick enough to get a shot off now and then. And football teaches me enough tricks to survive on a basketball court when there is not a referee around. Part of my nickname "Rhino" is derived from my basketball court behavior.

Anyway, finding this "pumpkin" in the basement inspires me to spend a buck and half to get some air needles and pump that sucker up.

[They always sell them in twos because they know you are going to push too hard  and break the first one.]

So, anyway, I miss getting any exercise yesterday? And so I decide to punish myself at 6 am by heading out with my blown up pumpkin to look for an outdoor court.  [IT'S 33 DEGREES OUT.]

I know this is going to be helpful to just a scintilla of you. The rest have no conceivable rationale to follow suit.  The fact I find the court and have it all to myself might be a clue.  But for anyone, who for any reason, might find a motivation to follow suit, I'd like to share with you my impressions.  The rest of you can just restrain your guffaws while I get through it.

My first surprise is this park court has both it's nets up and intact. Wow! Not in my day. I'm even pretty sure the rims aren't bent more than an inch or two. There must be a BBall cop in the neighborhood.

Some quick advice if you are going toshoot hoops at this time of day?  Check for ice.  The window scraper from your car can be helpful at this temperature.   Also, with a flashlight, check the surface for cracks that might eat your ankles or swallow you up in the dark.

I'm still talking only to those of you who are thinking about doing this for no good reason. Don't even consider leaving your warmups. Odds that you will?  Warm Up?  Not good.

Here's some good news. I 've been wondering, although I never see it? Can you shoot a basketball with gloves on?

You know Golfers use them, Quarterbacks and Wide Receivers use them. Hockey players wear them, etc., etc., etc. [You know I don't think I've ever seen Rugby Players wear them.] And my visual memory has never recorded a basketball player wearing them.  So maybe, just maybe, I'm breaking new ground here. I am hitting just as many shots with them on, as off. Are they even legal?

I don't have a whole lot else to share with you.  In fact, I think I'm going to bow out with this next piece of information.

If you are going to shoot around at 6 am, before the sun comes up? Expect a reaction. Folks in the neighborhood have accustomed themselves to the PLOP of the morning paper. They can sleep through the KLINK of the milk bottles being set down on the front porch [I didn't even know they did that anymore]. The RUMBLE, CLUNK,  KARUSH of the trash truck is tolerated.

But to my knowledge most folks are not used to FOLLOWING THE BOUNCING BALL at this time of day. And from what I can see? And hear? They don't like it.

They also don't seem to like the honking horns of commuters driving by who can't believe you are out here!

I probably won't do this every day.  It IS nice to know though,  that you can always get a court.

Try shooting with gloves some time. It's a hoot!

No comments: