Saturday, November 4, 2006

Enough Already!!

So I'm out to breakfast once last week?  Peggy is out of town...and the paper hasn't shown up.  So I take the latest copy of my Smithsonian subscription with me. While I've brought it for company and to slow down the ingestion process? I am also displaying it boldly so I can look intelligent.

So how intelligent does this look?  The wait person arrives at my table. I lift the magazine so she can clearly see it's dramatic three color cover.  And just  as she is handing me the menu? Three, count 'em, three rectangular sheets of thick card stock come flying out. One flys up and nearly hits her in the eye. Another slams into the menu.  And yet another does one of those "to  and fro" slow drifts to the carpet.

Let me assure you I've participated in far more embarrassing wait person, patron encounters. In this case, more than anything?  It's allowing me to vent my rage over what is probably not a critical issue in your or my life. But what the heck is a BLOG for anyway?

These three rectangles? They all have bold printed TITLES on them. The printed titles are all identical in both texture and content.  And what does the title say? "SMITHSONIAN." From there each card finds it's own way toward letting you know, as a card carrying Smithsonian member, you are eligible for a DISCOUNT if you re-up now.

Here's the annoying part. The three pieces of heavy card stock? They are but three of TWELVE such inserts in this 'ERUDITE" magazine. One nice thing about this time of year?  Usually a small percentage of them are decorated with a HOLIDAY theme, hoping to capture its share of the spirit of giving. It's never worked for me, but maybe, just maybe I'm not normal.  I tend to get irritated and CAN my subscription for a year or two.

I remember working in radio and television? There was (and may still be) a way to tell how your station was doing in the ratings. If all you would hear all day long? "LISTEN TO (WATCH) station W (K)BLAH, the BEST darn station in the WHOLE darn world, DANG IT!"

In case you haven't picked this up.  They are running these promotional spots because they have all this commercial time to fill. Why? It's because nobody is listening to their station. So  nobody is advertising on their air.

And so who are they  reaching with these promotions? Nobody. That's because nobody is watching or listening to the station. Why wouldn't you promote the station on someone else's station or newspaper or magazine or bill board or sandwich board or bulletin board?

I wonder if anyone at the Smithsonian sees a parallel.

Silver lining? These inserts make decent bookmarks. And when you are done reading the mag?  Just toss them away (the inserts).

Well, that's all I've got to say about this ISSUE.

s

No comments: