Monday, August 14, 2006

Good Fences

In poet Robert Frost's "Mending Wall?" His neighbor offers up...."Good fences make good neighbors."

Really?  I bring this up because our 16 year dalliance with open space appears to be up.  The coyotes, the llama, the antelope, the cattle,  the 13 lined ground squirrel, the rabbits, the hungry hawks and the occasional rattlesnake are destined for someone else's "SOUTH FORTY. "

How do I know that?  Because all this land behind us, that used to belong to the BLM?  It's about to give way to construction of a major thoroughfare, and high density development.  It's not that we didn't know it was coming. But it's still sad when you see the surveyors and the fence builders show up.

For your amusement, and certainly mine? I might have mentioned lately that I've kind of gotten back into meditation. If you keep it up? It just yanks stress right out of you. But I discover this morning that what takes away stress? It can also impose it!

In the early morning light I'm out on the deck in the modified "lotus position," just breathing deep.  While my eyes are closed I'm clearly aware of this roaring ATV pulling up behind a house two doors down.  I can FEEL the driver slamming on the breaks and hopping out. He loudly and brazenly starts BANGING a fence stake into the ground. You can SENSE the beast of the field scrambling for cover.  I think I'm hearing "John Henry," and not when he was a "little baby." 

Well, when he gets one door down?  And he sees me sitting there like the Dalai Lama?  (Peggy confirms he did see me)  All of a sudden "John Henry's" stake pounding takes on the characteristics of a seamstress.  He's clearly exchanged his sledge hammer for a tack hammer.  His gentle tapping is rhythmic and soul soothing.

And as he motors to the next position, he is practically in idle.

Well he sticks with the tack hammer and low RPM's for another two positions? Oh, sure, and then he once again becomes a "A Pile Drivin' Man." But what short term joy.

Another little piece of irony here.  After Robert Frost hears his neighbor say, "good fences make good neighbors?" His vivid thoughts reflect on fences. "Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it where there are cows?"

Well we've had cows here for 16 years? And very few fences. Sorry Bob, but we've been doing just fine without them, thanks.

But that's so negative.  I'm feeling good. All my life I've been told, "you can't stop progress." Maybe not stop it? But, as a lotus, you can sure play some mind games with those initiating it. 

"OOOOM!"

  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you sure have a lot more hair than dad did at your age!  tj