Monday, December 5, 2005

Whew! We made it.

Flirtatious: "I think that story deserves a big kiss, don't you?"

Real Mood: Who cares? I gotta cold.

Prediction: Meteorlogists will start using the wind chill factor in their reports.

So the fall TV ratings period is over. Stations and networks will soon start easing up on the promotions and teases.  Main anchors will start taking vacations. They'll be running out the "time off" door right behind the news director and general manager.  If holidays are really important to you? Be a news director, a general manager, or sales manager.

If you're looking for stories to do with a short staff, here's a suggestion. Another "media made myth" drove me to do this one twice. You always hear that this can be a very sad time of year for people who are alone.  Logic would lead us to the conclusion that there will be a high number of suicides between Thanksgiving and New Year's day.  Well, at least by the numbers in the past, that's not true. On the two occasions I was assigned that story, turns out people were not sad. Turns out they were mad. Homicides go way up. Suicides actually go down.

Now you shouldn't assume that's still the case.  Check the numbers, and if they match up, you'll have a sad holiday story no one else will have.  On  a personal note level, this may not be the best time of year to buy someone a "gag gift."

I had sound bites in both stories from shrinks that say in essence, "suicides come in the Spring when people's expectations are not realized." Go figure. Let's see. Spring? Doesn't it usually  start about a week after April 15th? This is starting to make sense.

This is always a good time of year to test out new talent on the air.  Look for a lot of unfamiliar faces. If your looking for something to do, keep track of the new ones.  See how many of them are still around in the spring. Let's see, that's about a week after April 15th, isn't it? 

If you see me first today, turn and run in the opposite direction. That's not because I'm angry and carry a big stick.  It's because I'm sick. Anything here your read and don't understand can be attributed to the effects of Benedryl.

If you're a student I'm going to make it easy for you. I'll avoid you. This is final exam, final project time, isn't it? I'm no dummy. Well at least not all the time.  

That reminds me. Want a suggestion on how to silence a politician? I was in the middle of one of these dreaded colds while being assigned to talk to a governor about something. As we sat down a few feet from each other I suggest, " don't kiss me." Was it the threat of the kiss, or getting a cold that made him mute? I suppose that's one answer we'll take to our graves. 

No comments: