Thursday, December 8, 2005

Modest Pride?

Flirtatious: "What's it do to you when I cross my eyes like this?"

Real Mood: Pre-Nostalgic

Prediction: When Kathryn tells the kids to get out of the pool, they'll get out of the pool.

You're looking at one of my Announcing students, Kathryn. ( I have her verbal permission to use the picture.) I'd like to tell you that she came to me a shy little flower bud. And with the proper attention she has now blossomed into the  "Venus Fly Trap" you see above.   But you'd guess I was lying, and I would be lying. 

Kathryn, when we were all pretending to be Demosthenes, projecting our treatises over the cascading waters of the Platte River, could be heard 6 blocks away with the roar of planes and trains in between.  Kathryn will never suffer from depression, hypertension, or any of the diseases we attribute to holding it all inside. Whatever she decides to do in life, we're going to know she's in the room.

I don't  know if it would feel good to be able to say, "taught the girl everything she knows." I don't think so. I do know that would be false pride.

What I'm kind of proud of, is setting a tone that lets Kathryn show us what she can do. 

But what makes me feel both sad and glad this time of year, has nothing to do with pride. It's witnessing the growth of each and every student, of their own initiative. I'm gobsmacked. To see potential energy become enertia is pretty special.

This was the last day of regular class.  We warmed up our voices  with everybody offering a new sound we hadn't shared before. Kathryn does this great dolphin squeal.  Ricki Lee comes up with this strange thing you do with your thumb and index finger. It makes your voice sound like it's trying to break through helium.

They never disappoint me. They are the teachers. I'm the student. 

It's going to be a week now before I see them all again for their final exam. Some of them I may never see again after that. I can't tell you how sad that is.

Let the pre-nostalgia begin.

I just hope Kathryn doesn't change her mind and hire a lawyer. I'm not sure I have a witness to her tacit approval to include the picture.

WARNING: Kathryn can be a very attractive young woman unless her date lies about his age. Do that? Prepare to run!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can definitely see her potential.

Anonymous said...

Kathryn (Katie as we call her) is my daughter.  Thank you so much for seeing, appreciating and drawing out the drama from within.  Yes, we all know when Katie is in the room...and we love it.
Shelley Overturf

Anonymous said...

The Picture:  I call this my monkey face.
The Entry:  I just want to thank Paul, first of all, for all of the nice things he said about me and for being, not just an awesome teacher, but also being able to have so much fun with us.  We had such an amazingly talented class that was ready to "Come Alive" whenever Paul needed us to.  I learned a lot from Paul even though he may think differently, he was able to get me out of my shell and perform to the best of my ability.  I will miss that class and Paul, but I have a few years left, so perhaps I will be lucky enough to have him as a teacher again.  Paul, thank you again! -Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul...I thought this name was fitting for me. shy, nervous, merged into one word!
I like that sentence where you say it is so sad to know that some of your students you will never again see after finals.  
you are one teacher that i definitly believe.  The time and love and admiration you put into all of your students is so apparent, so much more then many teachers i've had.
That student in that picture of yours is who i think all of us shy ones are on the inside...we just have to figure out how to be able to be it on the outside too! Thanks for helping me begin to figure that out!