Sunday, July 30, 2006

"PLING,PLING!"

So I'm out on another bike ride today. I run out of juice both literally and physiologically. Peggy generously takes my cell phone call and comes and picks me up. But that's not the story.  At least, that's not my story.

So I'm clipping along, at mile 12 I think? Off in the distance I hear this strange sound, "pling, pling?"

"What an odd bird expression," I"m thinking.  It doesn't really sound like a mating call, or a danger signal.  And I can't connect it to any native bird I know.

I've heard all the vocal expressions of domesticated beasts in the region, including a Yak. This sound does not match up in that arena either. 

I'm afraid the distraction of the sound,  and a short term deficit in lactic acid,  has me wobbling on the path. And then I hear it again.

"Pling, Pling!"

Many of you probably knew this? I didn't! The little bell attached to the handle bar? The one you manually activate with your thumb? It's back.

Since the bell, may I call it a bellETTE, has no human tonality?  I can't really get upset with it.  But immediately following its' "PLING, PLING?"

"Hey! Look out! On your left BUDDY."

The tone is very mean.  This man is quite lucky he is dealing with the "Kinder, Gentler" me. The one who replaces "ON YOUR LEFT" with "Good Morning!" 

By appearance he is easily older than me.  And had I not "Hit the Wall?"  I'd have been "ON YOUR LEFT"ing him.

But isn't it interesting the little bell is back.

We get home? Pull into the garage? Haul my bike out of the back? And as I'm limping towards the stairs going up to the laundry room? I look over towards Peggy's bike?  SHE has one!

I'm going to find out where that guy lives? Then I'm going to go "PLING, PLING" outside his bedroom window at 4 in the morning.

No, that would be mean!

No comments: