Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Room for All of Us!

Went on a twenty mile cycle ride today. (gettin' there!)

So! Some thoughts while two wheeling. Bike trail ettiquette has certainly improved overall since I last pedaled regularly. I remember doing stories in the mid-90's where cyclists and joggers were having territorial wars. Those wars got quite violent at times. And then, before every town of ten built a half pipe, roller bladers and skateboarders entered the formula.

I suppose it's true of almost any athletic endeavor, but it's clearly evident in cycling, jogging and skateboarding.  These exertions dramatically excite the glands that produce testosterone.  How do I know? At times I've had Walter Mitty visions of violently shoving any one of them to the ground as they entered my space. To this day I coil my fist when I hear some grim faced cyclist approach me with a discourteous scream,  "ON YOUR LEFT!"

"How'd you like a RIGHT cross on your LEFT pal."

There is still some of that out there, but I'm seeing and hearing civility on the trail these days.  I have taken on the practice of a gentleman who passed me on a bike path recently.  I was walking, he was riding.  As he approached about 20 feet behind me? With a smile in his voice he projects the following: "Good Morning!"

I have no innate instinct to punch a guy who enters my space with, "Good Morning." In fact I am more than willing to adjust my line to the right so that he might cycle by.

I have some other thoughts...but duty calls....and I'll return.

Before I forget:

Ann Coulter? Just cause Bill turned down your advances doesn't make him "a you know what!"

Bill? Just cause Ann turned down your advances doesn't make her a you know what!"

I just finished fixing a toilet. That always brings the worst out in me.

Why do we wear helmuts on bike paths?

Bike path construction is creating new wetlands.  Watch for new species to evolve along bike paths. Be careful with whats in the jar your kid brought home from the bike path.

 

No comments: