Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Things Left to Do

A few years ago Peggy and I landed at Dulles International and did what few people do. Instead of proceeding East into the seat of Western civilization and political power  (D.C.) ?  We backed up West until we ended up in the STATE with the reputation of being the least intellectually, socially, cultured and politically advanced spot in the 50 states (W.V.)

Of course careful use of statistics, leaks, and testimonials? You could find arguments to  reverse these suppositions. But that begs the question, which is? Why DID we back up West?

It was because I'd never been to West Virginia.....and should I....for any reason whatsoever...run for public office? [ NO POSSIBILITY THAT WILL EVER HAPPEN]  I want to be able to say, " As I've traveled to every state in  this wondeful nation of ours, blah, blah, blah....vote for Paul.  West Virginia was my 50th state. Getting there was just one of those things that's been left to do.

One of the others I can now check off my list is following my instinct traveling through the Mojave Desert between Las Vegas and Los Angeles on I-15. Just south of the town of Baker, in a spot totally inhospitable to the human organism, is the sign you see above. Zzyzx Rd.

Like the clear majority of humankind making the pilgrimage between La La land and Sin City? I've always resisted the temptation to take the ZZYZX off ramp. Well, against all intellectual and social skill development, I DID it this time. I took some pictures to record what I saw.

I tried to imagine myself owning this place, sub dividing it, and convincing others to come live there with me.SEE PICTURES 2, 3, AND 4.

From all Peggy and I can see? ZZYZX  is nothing more than an off ramp?

Boy! Are we off the mark.

It turns out Zzyzx has a very colorful history and future. I find this out reading an article by Ross Eckler, in Word Ways, from 1996. This could be viewed as a cop out...but this is a  clear case of there is no way on Earth I can tell the story better than Ross.

 

http://wordways.com/zzyzx.htm

It turns out Zzyzx road is a four and a  half mile dirt road that leads to an actual place.  As a tease? Curtis Howe, a self proclaimed physician and methodist minister once broadcast from Zzyzx Springs at his own radiostation. "His special potion will cure all that ails you. Visit Howe at the Zzyzx hotel and hot springs."

And Today? Wonder where those black helicopters have been landing?

I'm wiser for the experience. And with Eckler's help there may be a way to document Zzyzx as a legal placement on your scrabble board? It's worth a shot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul

Thanks for taking that trip down Zzyzx Road so I now I don't have to.  A few years ago when I had just moved back to Los Angeles (yes, for the umpteenth time) from Las Vegas and still had a house in Vegas, I used to travel that I-15 on a pretty regular basis. It wasn't too bad a trip made in a Mustang convertible with the top down (even in winter). That road always caught my attention, and like you, I always thought about some day making a little extra time and checking it out.

Alas!  I was always in a rush to either get home and find out if the wind had knocked all my patio furniture into the pool again (I finally tied all the chairs down)  or get back to L-A to get to work on time. (I used to leave at 4AM Monday morning for that)

Becky M