Sunday, June 11, 2006

Good Old Days

In my last posting I talked about the escalating cost of housing in Seal Beach, a place I used to live? A place I couldn't afford to live today?

Well the picture above pretty much tells the rest of the story. NOT EVERY THING IN SEAL BEACH HAS CHANGED.

My young adulthood coincided with the "Age of Aquarius" generation. Seal Beach wasn't exactly Haight Ashbury or Greenwich Village. But neither was it Rockefeller Center or Wilshire Blvd.

Clothing Optional, I don't think was ever officially on the books in Seal Beach? But walking down Main street, May, 2006?  A visual memory surfaces from my deep subconscious.

Can there be involuntary voyeurism?

Walking in front of me this day long ago is a couple.

History will record them dressed as "Hippies,"

or "Flower Children."

He has long stringy hair to his shoulders. His pants are flared at the ankle. The pants are sporting random holes with denim strings hanging all about.

These pants have flowered paintings on them.  He has a tie dyed kitchen towel wrapped around his forehead and stringy locks. He is shirtless.

She has long braided hair, a ruffled peasant blouse (clearly she has burned all her bras), a flared un-ironed skirt with a little rope belt tying the ensemble together.

Both of them are bare footed.

Almost none of this description, however, is relevant?

That's because all of a sudden, right there on Main street, the REST OF THEIR BODY PARTS? Also become BARE.

Not more than twenty paces ahead of me? The two step over a little one foot high picket fence? On to a tiny patch of grass? Slide out of their garments?

If I describe the rest of it I won't get by the censors. Just engage your imagination and don't leave anything out.

I like to believe I learn something new every day. Well my recent trip to Seal Beach is no exception. I've talked about my friend Duane Laursen, retired science teacher, who twirls a rope in the Rose Parade every year?

He lives in  Seal Beach.

I've yet to tell you much about his wife Nancy. (I'll do a whole piece on her one of these days. Those of you who know Nancy will think this current revelation nuttin'.)

SEE PICTURE #2

Quick background. Nancy is very musical. She, Duane and I used to amaze strangers by breaking out in three part harmony singing the Oreo Cookie Jingle in random bars.  I think we might have even evoked applause once or twice.

Well anybody who has been around Nancy for a length of time is aware of this idiosyncrasy? It's where she hums show tunes the entire time she is having a sophisticated discussion with you. (some acquaintances are amused, some annoyed. )

Well, Peggy brings this up in our recent get together?

Nancy drops a bomb on us.

"That's not all I'm doing, you know?"

"Huh?"

"I am also playing the piano on my teeth!"

"No?"

"Yep! With my tongue."

Don't you wish you'd spent some time in Seal Beach? Too late now. You could never afford it.

(Recently heard from one of my students that the "Oreo" people just held a contest for a new jingle. Sad!)

No comments: