Sunday, November 15, 2009

Let's talk snow, etal!



Have a seat!



Let's talk some nonsense.












Well, let's see....another week, another foot of snow. I guess I don't get it. Winter, by calendar, is still a month away. That's not something I would normally waste my diminishing memory cells on. But my birthday starts the same day as calendar winter and that ( my birthday) does have a quiet priority.


Anyway, we've already accumulated enough snow to overfill all our reservoirs and replenish our ground water for at least the next decade.

In my skiing days I was one of those strange machismo pseudo athletes who found it terribly important to be the first one on the hill, and the last one down at the end of the day.


My equivalent to that mania now is that I need to be the first one on the block to go dig out the morning paper. There aren't many of these (morning newspapers) left, you know? I could end up with the first copy on the paper's last day, document it, get it appraised on public television, and then auction it off on E-Bay.

It could happen.






Or not! Can you see inside the wrapper? Ski Free? The fine print likely reads ....with a 20 year subscription to the Denver Post (insert your own drowning daily) and a DOUBLE LARGE SIZE fountain drink. (The mark up on drinks must be incredible. Have you noticed the drink almost always plays a role in the bargain meals right now? )





Some of my first memories as a toddler were looking up at clouds and imagining they were airplanes, and big trucks, and other strange things.



Now I can look down at snow and do the same thing. I don't know, doesn't this hunk of nature look like a snail, a cabbage an ermine? I think so.










Down here I see the neural paths of thought inside my brain. You're probably seeing something totally different, eh?





Is an icicle a stalagmite or a stalactite?





Two Austrian Pines, you say?






I'm thinking two headless female square dancers abandoned by their male do si dos.

And down here?






I'm seeing a giant Brillo pad scraping the snow off an Austrian Pine kindly saving me from that chore.

This is what can happen to y0u when you're hit with two and a half feet snow in early November.

Yeah, sure, its pretty. Wet and cold, too! We must remain balanced. Had enough? Okay, me too!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures - the kids have loved sledding on the hill behind our houses. You share a birthday with my sister so it must be a great day! :)

the Preppy Princess said...

This has me concerned: "headless female square dancers".

Just sayin'.

tp

Paul said...

OMG sk I can see and hear you saying that while giving the waitress 7 suggestions on how to prepare your salad.

Lori said...

Gorgeous pictures! I'm not looking forward to snow, but I fear we're going to get more than our fair share this year.