Saturday, October 10, 2009

Put a Lid On It!




Too often I've "taken the road" most traveled by to excuse my own absence from this milieu.


"Well, Everybody, I'm Back!"


And then I go on with a list of flimsy excuses for not blogging.


(It's a good thing no one is paying me for daily postings by the word.)


Well once again I'm going to "whine," and then move on to what I promise will be my comfort zone, "tongue in cheek" musing.


I had hoped my next appearance here would involve resolution of my roofing experience. Well, it is clear that it may not occur in my life time. Just let me warn you. If you've had a weather issue that MAY have impacted your roof?


GIRD YOUR LOINS! The ROOFERS are COMING!


From the moment they arrive the truth meter will seldom rise above ZERO.


And I thought when I checked out my Roofer with the Better Business Bureau, and explored the company's business history and longevity in the market, I'd be okay?


NOT! They've NOT followed through on MUCH of what they promised on either paper or with handshakes. And for some reason the BBB isn't aware of that practice.


And the insurance company, which I calculate kicked in about 10 thousand dollars more than the going rate for the job, has NO interest in investigating. When I suggested they might want to read my BLOG? The response was, "Oh, we're not allowed to do that!"


HUH?


And the mortgage holder sends out a document that requires my signature saying the work is satisfactory? I DID NOT SIGN IT! And when I call to let them know I didn't sign it? That mortgage holder says over the phone....VERBATIM...


" I don't know why we send those notices out. We never act on them."


Now a county building inspector did come out with the contractor to go over my complaints. (He'd approved the work a few weeks earlier.) Let me paraphrase his comment that will FOREVER ring in my ear.


"It was a hot day when I inspected your roof. I weigh 235 pounds. There was no way I was going to actually go up there to take a look. I could have slipped."


I'm pretty sure he totally missed the message when I replied, "I weigh 245 pounds and didn't go up there either."


I didn't need to. My camera and I saw all we needed to see from the street.


With the inspector still there, the contractor is saying, "we can't do THIS, but we can do THIS, and THIS and THIS. We'll get that done this afternoon."


Well that was about a month ago, and THIS and THIS, and THIS remain on the contractor's BACK BURNER. Well, let's be appropriately skeptical. He has absolutely no intention of doing THIS and THIS and THIS. He is waiting for me to give up. And I will! But it will not be because I don't think I have a case. Just pictures and paper work alone would give me a leg up in court. Than why not sue them?


Reason one: I am not a litigious person. I don't believe in prolonged angst. Bitterly is a horrible way to exist.


Reason two: I have better and more upbeat topics to occupy my muse.


Reason three: Absolutely EVERY person I've talked to in my neighborhood, and every other hail infested neighborhood, has a tale of woe to match or top mine. And we've all had different contractors. That is why I've not named names.


So I'm going to "PUT A LID" on this issue, and get happy again. And you heed my advice.


A Jock Strap will NOT GET THE JOB DONE!


(I've just gone over all of this with Peggy and she concurs with my description of the tale. I'm not sure yet how she stands on the resolution.)

No comments: