Monday, December 8, 2008

"Piece-uh-Cake

What'd you do this weekend? Here's my contribution.

What you're lookin' at here is the back of Brian Tiel's head. He is a cameraman for High Noon Productions.

High Noon, among many other cable TV shows, shoots and puts together Food Network Challenge.
They will probably live to regret inviting me in to watch them put the show together.


In this challenge the pastry chefs are putting together birthday cakes for one of the judges it turns out isn't universally admired.
But then a cake is a cake, isn't it.

And 10 thousand dollars MIGHT induce to you to do something nice for someone you despise. It happens.

But then on the other hand, is this an opportunity to make a statement.







Here's a DIGITAL look at Brian Tiel, who I worked with in news a decade ago.
He drew the short straw to chew me out for using my flash to capture these moments. (It was really his fault. I wouldn't have needed the flash if he'd have just stepped in the light ONCE.


Producer Lori Allred, who was also a long ago colleague in another life, had no trouble finding a spotlight.









Same is true for my old photographer colleague Greg Versphol.




That's Meagan Norris creeping across the set in bad light. That was not what I taught her to do when she was a student. She is an assistant producer for "Challenge."




She was on the move so much I had to try and capture her with pencil, too.










It was Meagan who introduced me to the shows host Keegan Gerhard. But here's why I might not get invited back. You see when Meagan introduced us. He had no idea who I was....and guess what?
Well I don't spend a lot of time watching the Food Channel.
"So are you one of the contestants here today, Keegan," I ask.
So I've pretty much sketched him from memory here.
Still I had great time. Got to see former student Jonathon, former fellow news junkies Casey, Sean, Paul, Steve, Muffy(I saw her...she didn't see me), and Glenna.
Should you ever wonder what happens to mature journalists? Wonder no more.

No comments: