Sunday, March 23, 2008

"On Top of Old Baldy....

All Covered in Snow......"

I'm pretty sure I was a Freshman in college when I first ascended Mount Baldy, just outside Los Angeles. It might seem a mean feat for those who climb all the 14 thousand foot peaks (The Fourteeners) here in Colorado.

But when you consider you are coming up from Sea Level to 10 thousand feet Mount Baldy gets a little more respect.

Anyway I was a little short of oxygen and pretty high on nitrogen when I got there.  And they had this little guest book? You are asked for your impressions?  So here is my direct quote which is surely sitting in some archive with the Sierra Club.

"It makes one wonder about the existence of God."

Go ahead and write something like that if it is what you are feeling. But here is some advice. Do not include your home address, your phone number or email address. That is unless you are a big fan of crank calls, spam and/or junk mail.  You cannot believe how many people have climbed MT. Baldy who are deeply concerned about YOUR eternal soul.

If I were to do it again? I'd write something like, "hey dude! I made it!"

This is as close as you'll ever find me discussing "religion."  I pretty much respect and suspect them all.  They all (established religions) inspire great food, music and holidays. I've sampled them all.  And didn't they all invent (fasting) dieting? Don't they all practice meditation?

Ah, I'm getting off track.

There are places all over the world that inspire me to tremble at the feet of what must be a greater power.  That is one of them up there. 

While I'm sure it doesn't match up with anyone's dogma, I typically and selfishly try to keep a few of these places JUST for myself.

 

 

This one is not a big secret.  It's shared by family and friends and quite a few other people.  But it is not a huge tourist spot. That means if you do come upon it? There is a decent chance you can have some time alone with a consistent force of nature.

I just thought in honor of Easter I would share this much with you, and maybe even give you some hints on its whereabouts.

 

[REAL PICTURE]

 

 

I can tell you it is along the Central California coast.  I can tell you the surf breaks like that a good portion of the year. If it is not breaking? There are plenty of other dynamic forces in play to capture your senses.   I can tell you there is a nice calm beach nearby.

(Tim Ewing and I slept there in sleeping bags back in the ....0's.)

Two days ago Peggy says to me out of the blue, " I want you to paint a wave." 

It wasn't easy.  And I had to mix mediums ( watercolor and acrylics).  And for what it is worth?  It is yours to ponder. And if you ever find this spot? I can tell you on this Easter Sunday, the very least it will do is "make you wonder about the existence of God."   

No comments: